Absolute PC Nonsense

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Absolute PC Nonsense

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 04, 2004 5:43 pm

A student of mine wanted me take a look at his PC recording set-up and sort of give him some pointers.

I have been running MACs all my life and have a Pro Tools set-up.

The student has the new EMU soundcard/hardware with Cubasis VST.

I was shocked to find that it is necessary have a program running in the background of Cubasis that allows the EMU to operate. I found hilarious the fact that Wavelab Lite has to run while Cubasis is open because you can do no wav file editing within the Cubasis program itself. What bonehead designed that and thought it okay? More onerously hilarious (yes, that combination is possible) was attempting to burn a simple wav file audio disc with both Roxio and Windows Media programs.

I'd like to suggest to the software manufacturers to start making it easier for the consumer. Digidesign got the concept exquisitely correct when they made an all-in hardware, soundcard and software configuration that performs at an extremely high level. Why struggle with many programs together when you can simply use one? Why bother worrying about ASIO drivers and other convoluted nonsense when you can have just one, pure functioning set-up that performs to the task?

As for the burning software, the drag and drop aspect of the MAC makes that a snap. The playlist bullshit from the PC perspective is indirect crap.

I gave the student a good outline on how to operate his system, but found the entire set-up to be hilariously awkward. Is just the fact that PCs are less expensive that people with tolerate this dysfunctional nonsense?

Honestly, somebody let me in on this secret...Lol.

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Re: Absolute PC Nonsense

Post by Auxillary » Tue May 04, 2004 7:03 pm

Perhaps the fact that he was using the absolute lowest-end software available for PC would be part of it? Along with one of the lesser soundcards?

Go compare his setup to audacity on your mac and that will be much more comparable. Or samplitude or nuendo on his pc to basic things on your mac.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

DJDM
gettin' sounds

Post by DJDM » Tue May 04, 2004 7:59 pm

Auxillary wrote:Perhaps the fact that he was using the absolute lowest-end software available for PC would be part of it? Along with one of the lesser soundcards?

Go compare his setup to audacity on your mac and that will be much more comparable. Or samplitude or nuendo on his pc to basic things on your mac.
Echo.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Tue May 04, 2004 11:32 pm

there's no secret. It's all in the software. I'm not sure what the point of Cubasis is. Not even on the same planet as Cubase, Nuendo.
No software at that level on either platform is going to cut it- although I'm sure at some point someone will make a gold record with Garage BAnd.. lol.
Roxio software is probably the worst i've ever come across. Got it with my DVD burner. It is currently not installed on my system. Nero is a solid burning program. I burn audio CD's directly from Vegas. I can open up the waves I want to burn (at any bit or sampling rate) hit a few buttons and i'm done.
Kid just needs new software.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed May 05, 2004 11:35 am

Pro Tools on both Mac and PC requires another application to do CD burning and, on PC, requires a cd ripping program to import your audio to a hard drive before bringing it into Pro Tools.

I have to admit, though, there is a lot about PC's that really sucks. Driver compatibility is dodgy at best, interface design is inconsistent and even trying to get info about what hardware is installed (thru the device manager) is impossible sometimes. Try determining which firewire card is installed in a PC sometime - you can't unless you happen to know which one is installed or have the box lying around somewhere.

Not to mention iffy compatibility. Even adhering to a programs requirements can sometimes result in a non-functional system because there are so many different motherboards, chipsets and custom chips that big box manufacturers put on their motherboards.

How about that 10 port limit for midi interfaces? Also, ever try working in your audio program, surfing the net, burning a cd and instant messaging someone simultaneously on a PC? Ain't gonna happen, but on my Mac I do it all the time.

PC's can be cool if you're just buying it for running one rig (like Pro Tools) and don't connect it to the internet and don't put all kinds of other gunk on it. Sure, they're cheaper, but you're also probably going to spend more on upkeep and troubleshooting.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu May 06, 2004 12:17 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote: As for the burning software, the drag and drop aspect of the MAC makes that a snap. The playlist bullshit from the PC perspective is indirect crap.
yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. with wavelab (pc only) you can just assemble all your clips however you want and burn a cd right from there. having to use a different program just to burn a cd seems more like indirect crap to me. but hey, ymmv......

pedalboy
pluggin' in mics

Post by pedalboy » Fri May 07, 2004 11:48 pm

Yeah a lot of it is software. I for one have used cakewalk sonar for a while and like it quite a bit. I've run huge sessions while burning cds, browsing the net, talking on AIM, and checking my email all at the same time. Its all in how you set it up, which brings me to my second point....

Any instability that you may encounter is because of the vast number of hardware options available to the user. Sure mac works. It only works one way, too. Its just a matter of which color you want sometimes. The options can be a good thing (if you use quality components). You can build a good quality system for a grand less than a comprable mac.

And let me just say that sonic foundry CD Architecht is an AMAZING PROGRAM.

I've also used PT on mac quite a bit. Macs have flaws too. Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't crash OS X. It happens. iTunes is a freaking sad excuse for a burning program. WTF is up with only one freaking mouse button?? Ha ha....

There's drawbacks to both. And a lot of it does come down to software. I'm switching over to protools (on pc, actually) because the mixer routing is so much better than cakewalk and because of file portability. Bottom line, compare apples to apples software and hardware wise.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Sun May 09, 2004 5:57 pm

pedalboy wrote:

WTF is up with only one freaking mouse button?? Ha ha....

yeah it's like only having one arm. I guess it keeps all those left handed mac users from getting confused (left handed PC users can figure it out well enough- :lol: )
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon May 10, 2004 7:14 am

Sure, they're cheaper, but you're also probably going to spend more on upkeep and troubleshooting
This is the biggest problem with PCs. You need one PC to use for office-like tasks(internet, word proc, etc..) and another that hopefully is NOT online for a DAW. I work in the PC repair/internet service industry. IMNSHO PCs will always have more problems than Macs while they are the most dominant platform because of all the viruses, security holes, adware/spyware that plague it constantly. Macs are a smarter option for most people. Having said all that, I own and run 4 PCs and 2 Macs. I would not recommend a PC to anyone unless you are really good with computers so you can fix Winblows all the time and kill viruses and spyware daily! I guess the audio software on PC is getting pretty decent, but I wouldn't want to run my audio PC online and risk all the vulerabilities WIndows has on my recording machine

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue May 11, 2004 11:16 am

Macs ship with a one-button mouse, but you can certainly use a 2 or more button mouse (or Trackball, if you're smart). Anyone still using the supplied 1 button mouse is a noob and needs to be flogged, though why Apple still ships 1 button only mice with their systems is beyond me.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Tue May 11, 2004 10:13 pm

pedalboy wrote:I've also used PT on mac quite a bit. Macs have flaws too. Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't crash OS X. It happens. iTunes is a freaking sad excuse for a burning program.
#1 It is free
#2 It is meant as a consumer application. As an organizer of music and burner of your playlists it works wonderfully. Toast is a more powerful and professional choice for your burning needs.

You definately can crash OS X but it needs to be a pretty severe problem ... typically hardware like bad ram. I don't deny that there are drawbacks to both platforms but as was mentioned above, let's make sure we are comparing, uh, comparable things.
pedalboy wrote:WTF is up with only one freaking mouse button??
Answered above. Two-button support has been around a long time. I use it all the time.

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Wed May 12, 2004 1:32 pm

bombastique wrote:Macs ship with a one-button mouse, but you can certainly use a 2 or more button mouse (or Trackball, if you're smart). Anyone still using the supplied 1 button mouse is a noob and needs to be flogged, though why Apple still ships 1 button only mice with their systems is beyond me.
I'm using a one-button mouse right now. While I agree about the functionality aspect of it, I am also very, very shallow and willing to put up with control-clicking so I have a cool looking mouse that matches my iMac exactly. Sometimes function follows form for me.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 12, 2004 4:41 pm

ryan cuts to the core of why Apple ships the one-button mice: design. The mouse looks cool. The little round mice that shipped with the G3s were fuckin' useless, but man did they look groovy. Apple makes lots of decisions along those lines. But to be honest, most users will never get to the point where they need the other button. Most non-audio/video PC users don't use their second button either. Hell, most users I've seen on either platform still mouse up to the menu to do stuff that's got a handy quick-key all set up for them that's been there for years.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu May 13, 2004 8:31 am

true, true.

i guess i just have a difficult time understanding that most people are not like me - looking for new ways to 'be efficient'.

one day i'll get over that. or not.
- Hunter S. Thompson

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat May 15, 2004 9:57 pm

Gee, it's hard to believe you could get so worked up about a free (with hardware) entry level program. That sounds a lot like my Chevy is better than your Ford. I've owned Mac. I've owned PC. I've owned Chevy, Ford and Mopar muscle cars. Not a whole lot of difference, the performance depends on the parts that are in them all.
I chose the pc for my daws, because of the availability of free effects via vsts and vsti's, and the promise of a lock with my adat, way back at version 3.5 of the Cubase Producers pak. Since then, the program has matured nicely. I've also purchased Sonic Foundry and Cakewalk programs, and still use them, as well.
When I decided on PC, I quickly bought the A+ Tech books, and studied them, as well as reading everything I could, wherever I could find it. Now I have a constant stream (too many) of computers coming here for repair, as well as building my own daws. My latest one uses a 4th go-around Rme 9652, AMD Mobile 2600+ Barton (running 3300+), 1 gig of PC 3200, 120 gig OS and storage drive, Raid 0 tracking dives, Ge force 5200+ dual head card, 430 watt Enermax power supply and an Abit NF7S, the total cost was less than $700, not including the RME, which is around 5 or 6 years old. Even including the Card, it's less than I paid for a 4 track cassette machine, back in the day. XP Pro is truly a solid OS, when it's set up right, and a quality sound card like the RME makes a difference, as well.
While a PC isn't for everyone, with a bit of sweat equity in learning the tech side of it, you can save a lot of money. Now that the UAD-1 and TC-Powercore cards are available, the processing capabilities of PT and PC systems are running neck and neck. Add in the ability to run extra vsti's and effects via system-link or fx-teleport on multiple machines, and there really aren't very many limitations left.
Personally, I just don't see where one machine has any really overwhelming advantage over the other, and with Steinbergs' system link, it's possible to use both Mac and PC on the same project, at the same time. Simply amazing, to me. What a time to be alive:)
mrc
:D