Transferring MiniDisc to PC. How?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
matttherat
gettin' sounds

Transferring MiniDisc to PC. How?

Post by matttherat » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:54 am

I want to transfer a minidisc recording of band practice onto my PC so that I can burn a CD.

Problem is, using the Sony MiniDisc software, it restricts uploading to PC to only files that originated on that computer (anti-piracy control, I guess).

Anyway, how do folks transfer MiniDisc recordings to a PC? Do I just plug the MD player into the Mic input and record? That seems kind of lame but I didn't know if y'all had any better suggestions.

thanks.

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Re: Transferring MiniDisc to PC. How?

Post by kingnimrod » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:56 pm

If you want to keep it strictly digital, then you could do what i do:

I have a sony home MD deck with an optical output hooked up to a harman kardon CD recorder. copy the recording to a CD, then pop the CD into my mac drive.

This is too much of a pain in the ass though. I wish that someone would have developed a drag/drop type transfer system for MDs for recording hobbyists/pros.

I am now on the lookout for one of these little digital recorders that has a line in and will record in uncompressed WAV or AIFF format, AND be compatible with the Mac --- why the hell won't Apple add this to the iPod??? they would sell a jillion of them if they just did this.....

mikedaul
audio school graduate

Post by mikedaul » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:02 am

My md player lacks a digital output, so I just use the line out into my soundcard. I'm sure I'm losing a bit to the additional da/ad conversion, but for my uses I'll never notice.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:45 am

If you don't have an A/D converter, just send the MD headphone out to the line in on your PC and record the whole rehearsal realtime. Don't worry about the miniscule noise that pro engineers might--it's a rehearsal, yo! Besides, it'll sound fine once you put a limiter and eq. I do it all the time instead of setting up my A/D.

logancircle