Computer recording basics

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
black mariah
buyin' gear

Computer recording basics

Post by black mariah » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:21 pm

I know dick about computer recording. All I've done so far is hook some RCA cables from my mixer into the line in on my soundcard and run with it. This is fine for my crap, but does NOT work when it comes to recording more than one channel at a time.

Could I get a quick rundown on just the basic components of a computer based recording setup so I feel like less of a tool? Or get a couple of links that would help explain it?
Heurh!

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Re: Computer recording basics

Post by Osumosan » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:48 pm

Wow,

That's quite a question there. If you've plugged into your soundcard, that's a good start. That is the very basis of recording with the computer. You are going to need:

1. Hardware,
2. Software.

Hardware will be your audio interface. If you are mostly interested in recording audio (like me), you should get an interface with at least 8 channels in. There are many here who think that it's best to do your mixes on a real-life board. In that case, you will need at minimum 8 outputs which translates to 4 stereo busses. there are interfaces with more and less i/o, but that's kind of standard and you can expand on at least some of them (like the MOTU 828, 896 series of firewire interfaces). Recording magazine has a pretty decent rundown of the available interfaces (there are some omissions) in the Jan'04 issue. Firewire and USB2.0 are the fastest busses, and your choices are many. What you choose may depend on which software you end up with.

Some interfaces have their own preamps, which can be good or bad. If you are picky about your preamps, which you should be, you don't really need them in your interface, although a couple of them will help out in a pinch. Also, if you don't have preamps already and are on a budget, some interface preamps are considered acceptable. There are also separate preamp units with digital converters in them and they usually can hook up with your audio interface. there are different forms of digital audio "wires" including ADAT, SPDIF, toslink, etc. Keep a list of which units you are interested in use which formats.

An important part of your setup will be a digital clock that basically tells each piece of digital gear where it is in time and locks the digital signals all together. If these signals drift you will get noise to varying degrees of audibility. There are better clocks and worse clocks. You can improve your digital performance by getting a better and separate clock, but the clock of your DAW or your interface will do for starters,

Software is just as varied. You don't sound like you're on a mac, so DP4 and Logic are out for you. Basically, software will act as your mixing desk for audio and is usually set up to behave that way. Some interfaces come with a basice DAW software setup. You'll add on effects much in the same way as you buy outboard gear for your "analog" board. They are in the form of plug-ins, some of which may be bundled with your DAW software and most that you can either purchase separately or download for free or as shareware. They will pop up in your DAW software once you install them.

Believe me, it's a huge kettle of fish you're jumping into. Do a lot of research. Even go to some of the internet stores such as audiomidi.com to see what's available and read up on gear. You can also go to musiciansfriend.com and sweetwater.com.

Anybody got something to add...?

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:08 pm

Thank you very much! I've been looking at interfaces and sound cards and all this crap for the past few days and it's all been flying over my head. Do I need this, or that, or maybe both. I'll do some more looking and see what comes up. Thanks for the info.
Heurh!

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:03 am

audiomidi has some helpful articles on their website

http://www.audiomidi.com/aboutus/classroom.cfm

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:26 am

I've been happy with my M_Audio Delta 1010LT - 10 ins, 10 outs, $270ish new.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:12 pm

I would just like to chime in and say that don't think you need the latest and greatest as far as interfaces are concerned. I just spent a little over $750 and got 32 analog inputs into my computer with 10 outputs. I bought a couple used MOTU interfaces... yes, they only do up to 24bit/48kHz recordings, but last I checked CDs are still 16bit/44.1kHz.

Just keep it in mind...

anewman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by anewman » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:02 pm

I agree. As soon as something better/newer comes out the feeling is that the last model is obsolete. Be careful to not get caught up in this. If something still does what you bought it for, then chances are that it'll do just fine and you don't need to upgrade. Swap things out when they start to hinder you. So far, with my 96k/24bit interface i've recorded at peak rates once. It was neat, but not necessary by any means.
I'm a recordist; engineers have degrees.