time to buy my own apple, any suggestions?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
JES
tinnitus

Re: time to buy my own apple, any suggestions?

Post by JES » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:52 am

I think it's funny. Especially the part about how pissed his parents would be if they found out. "Yeah mom, I just gutted the computer you paid $2k for and replaced all the parts with much cheaper PC parts."

If you want a PC, get a PC.

As for quiet Macs, I'm typing on a jet-engine sounding g4 quicksilver at the moment. My spouse's new imac is dead silent nearby.

Imacs will have MUCH lower plugin counts than towers.

The last of the mirror-door-drive g4s are supposed to be quieter, but the g5 is supposed to be quiestest. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting g5 for that reason alone whenever they release the new models.

Best,
--JES

Dr. Bell
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dr. Bell » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:48 am

The situation is really unfortunate. I am very lucky to be receiving my next mac as a gift, but since it is a gift there will no doubt be a price limit established... so I don't get to, like, "save up just a little bit longer" so I can get the G5. Oh well... I could be in a prison camp somewhere or have leprosy.

tenaciousjay
alignin' 24-trk

Re: A suggestion for you...

Post by tenaciousjay » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:01 pm

sserendipity wrote:Here is another alternative:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1133/index02.asp
That actually was kind of a hoax.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1133/

I run a dual 1.25 G4 at work and it's plenty fast for any graphic work that I throw at it. Lots of space for extra HDs (very easy to install as well), also room for a second CD/DVD drive (I added a 4x Superdrive that works great). For OS 9 any recent G4 should be fine, just max out the RAM and add another HD or two. Duals really add a lot, especially in OSX. I used to have a dual 533 that really wasn't too much slower than the dual 1.25.

I've been looking at the (recently discontinued) 1.8 GHz G5 for around $1700 for myself; it's not a dual but it does have all of the improvements over the 1.6. The dual 1.8 would be sweet as well but at $2500 it's over my budget.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:42 am

If you hit the "special deals" section of the Apple Store you can get a refurb dual 1.8 for $1999. That's the sweet spot, IMO. Same coverage as a regular mac, too.

--JES

PS -- I still thought the green light inside the g5 was cool.

Veracohr
audio school graduate

Post by Veracohr » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:09 pm

I'd suggest the G5 for "staying power" as well as processing power. Meaning, a 64-bit computer won't go obsolete as quickly, but it won't be long for 32-bit computers to be left behind forever. Might as well get the best one you can get. I bought my G4 a few years ago, and I opted for one from the previous generation because it was $200 less (and the computer was the most expensive thing I'd ever bought at the time). I really wish I'd just paid the extra $200 for 50% increase in processor speed. With computers, I think it's a good idea to buy the most powerful one you can honestly justify the expense for. Software only gets bigger as time goes on.

TapeOpAJ
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpAJ » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 pm

Are G5's quieter than the silver g4's?

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:25 pm

Yes, but users here and there have complained of strange noises. Mostly, though, people seem to comment on how quiet they are.

--JES

Current Resistance
gettin' sounds

Post by Current Resistance » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:19 am

my g5 is super quiet, and non-existent at about 4 feet. I've had no "weird" noises either. In fact, i dont have one single complaint about it. err, maybe that iTunes gets finnicky running through Digidesign hardware, but i'll live.