Mac OS X recordists speak up!

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
knmy
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Mac OS X recordists speak up!

Post by knmy » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:27 pm

I've started using the Digi 002r on my mac with OS 10.2 and no problem so far. Haven't got into heavy recording yet but so far so good.

Any one seen the G5's.... http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Keep in mind with the upgrade as someone said, OS Panther will be coming out in the near future.

Later,
Ken
Your bass sounds like a wet noodle.....

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:32 am

i was thinking of starting a similar thread.... can anyone confirm that soundedit 16 doesnt work in osx? even in classic mode or whatever it is? its my main jam, and i'd be sad to see it go.

and while on the subject, any tips on the cheapest way to get osx for a poor 9.1 bastard like myself?

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:38 am

there are plenty of legit copies of OSX on eBay, as many non-legit maybe :roll:

but don't get 10.1, Jaguar 10.2 is worth every penny. before you pay retail, you may wan't to wait for the 10.3 panther to be released.

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:45 am

is there really that much difference between 10.1 and 10.2 and the soon to be 10.3?

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Post by pandafresh » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:56 am

soundedit 16 does indeed not work in 10.2 w/ classic. classics audio doesnt go through 10,, or something like that. talk about a reason to stay in os 9 huh? i love that friggin' app. though currently apple is listing all there mirror drive G4s as os 9 bootable!. but here, this is the best Soundedit 16 OSx replacement i have come across, and it s free.. its no soundedit. but..
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/15063

10.1 & 10.2 are 2 completly differnet programs imo. .1 was basicly a test. like, here is what we are up to.. most any 10.2 software [ie, pretty much everything anymore. though you can run the above program] will not run in 10.1, and you dont get a free upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2, so if you have 10.1, your stuck till you buy 10.2
10.2 is way way better. its not even a fair comparison.. like mac os 5, verse mac os 9.2.2.

-trevor

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:01 am

yeah, people are pretty much throwing away the OSX restore CD's.
there is some important scripting in 10.2. they have done a lot of
updating with 10.1, now up to 10.1.6

regardless, jag is nice.

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:36 am

thanks for the info. that audacity sounds ok at least. what i like about sound edit 16 that i dont like about other apllications is that you can have multiple stereo tracks up and then make fades and combine them into one track. what i hate about sound edit 16 - only one undo! argh. it looks like audacity at leats has more undos, how is the track merging and fades?

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:44 am

actually i just downloaded audacity for os9, and the fact that you cant specify the fades sucks, unless i'm missing something.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:47 am

have you guys heard dymaxion?

this whole album was done on sound edit 16
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... kxu3yaan1k

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Post by pandafresh » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:19 am

audacity.. i havent play'd with it much. since i generaly work in os9 for audio.. and soundedit works there.. i have audacity around for when in in os10, doing video n' graphics sutff.. who wants to reboot just to edit a sound real quick? not me.

dymaxion..
i can beleive it. but, i have had the chance to see them [dymaxion] live. and they did an amazing job of, sounding like the recording live. but it was all live [drums, bass, guitar, synths, horns, etc.. [5 or 6 people on stage.. ] they even rocked a bassoon [sp?] solo.. dont hear/see that everyday. [they opened for cornelius on his point tour, here in nyc]
i lie the album they did with takako minekawa a little btter then their own albbum [thought its fun too]

-trevor

cactus
takin' a dinner break

Post by cactus » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:48 pm

DIGI001 (1GB PC2700 the good Crucial stuff, too) -> OSX... You better save that sh*t after every pass, cuz it's gonna crash, don't ya know.

6.0 + 6.0.1 are unstable as a mofo.

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:13 am

deadair wrote:is there really that much difference between 10.1 and 10.2 and the soon to be 10.3?
10.2 supports the current version of au plugins. also, much, much faster. i don't think i can talk about 10.3 yet (i'll check)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:25 pm

I absolutely love OSX, but I need to wait until Digi gets it together with PT6.
The updater discs came with my Waves gold bundle, and the HD3 rig, but I havent touched them. I wish. All the other stuff I do (jam,peak,reason,Live) work really well, in fact BETTER in OSX. I am eagerly awaiting a good PT6.x.x.x.x to make the switch and never look back.

friendlybunny
pushin' record

Post by friendlybunny » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:59 am

hmmm... I've been using pt 6, and 6.01 since they first came out and I haven't had many problems. It's been MUCH more stable in osx than os9 for me. I've been using it 8-10 hours a day since March and I can't remember the last time I had a crash. I had problems on os9 though because I run other software at the same time. OSX can handle several programs at once (as long as you open PT first). I can even work in other programs as protools is bouncing tracks out! I'm using an hd1 on a quicksilver dual 1 gig with 768 ram.

If you keep your computer up to date and have everything correctly installed then things should work great. You just need to get used to osx, because it is completely different than os9. To keep your computer optimized for osx is much different than os9.

I don't understand what problems are keeping people from updating their protools. The benefits greatly outweigh the bugs (whatever they are).

My os9 crashed all the time and I shudder everytime I need to use a protools still on os9.

but this is just my experience...

-fb

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:20 am

I entered into Pro Tools land recently so I went right into OSX and PT6. We've had a lot of problems with the I/O settings, specifically getting the S/PDIF and ADAT stuff to work. Hint: Set the hardware how you want and quit and restart PT6. It pissed me off that I had less trouble with I/O running on a beige G3, which isn't even supported! I think there's some other buggy shit lurking around but the new file management shit is a good thing.

Now the biggest problem is buying software for editing and accounting as I switch all my computers to OSX...
Larry