The Thread About Reason

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
DJDM
gettin' sounds

Re: The Thread About Reason

Post by DJDM » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:46 pm

schlinky8 wrote:hey everybody, I was wondering if it's possible to run my audio tracks through reason so i could take advantage of effects (like scream 4, etc.) or (and I'm not even sure if this is possible) through one of the synths themselves. I've heard it can be done somehow using the sampler but I'm not really sure how so any help would be appreciated, thanks
Reason does not have audio in but you can record your audio in a separate app and then just fly it into via the samplers. Reason will treat it like any other sample and you can tool away on it.
But if you are doing a lot of work that is sample based from homegrown files and you require long playback of entire parts that last for several minutes there are more efficient apps for that like ACID, Live or almost any DAW.

DJDM
gettin' sounds

Post by DJDM » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:41 am

New Reason 3 info released on props site.

And there is a NEW Compressor!

Can't wait for that.

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:30 pm

nice! i'm totally excited for this.

Bigsby
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Bigsby » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:40 pm

Now if only you could rewire at least a stereo pair into the reason mixer, and enjoy the sweet sounds of the new mastering tools on your guitar and vocals as well as reason tracks.

DJDM
gettin' sounds

Post by DJDM » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:47 am

Bigsby wrote:Now if only you could rewire at least a stereo pair into the reason mixer, and enjoy the sweet sounds of the new mastering tools on your guitar and vocals as well as reason tracks.
The Props have come out and said several times that this is not going to happen. Besides the Reason engine is designed as a sample playback system not random access. That would make certain standard DAW audio features hard if not impossible to implement. That's the whole idea behind ReWire technology. How can you keep the system simple and yet allow users to access audio in and midi out? ReWire.
So wish all you want but it is more realistic to accept Reason as it is or find another solution. :)

Bigsby
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Bigsby » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:51 pm

Yeah, I've read in interviews that they're not interested in making it an audio editing/sequencing tool.

I simply meant more that it would be nice if you could use it as a Rewire master with just two channels in, rather than having some new device that's a stereo wave player, or wave tracks in the sequencer.

The new mastering devices look great, but I'm not really going to be able to use them as all my final songs end up with recorded audio too. Reason as a Rewire master with two audio channels in would change that. I don't mind doing my recorded audio elsewhere at all. It'd just be cool to be able to play Tracktion from Reason, as well as Reason from Tracktion like you can currently. If they weren't introducing (what I hope are) great sounding new mastering devices, I wouldn't care (well, actually it'd be awesome to run EVERYTHING through a Scream).

Anyway, I do appreciate Reason as it is. It's changed my songwriting immensely, and opened up areas of creativity previously unknown. I commute an hour and a half each way to work on the subway, and it's now three hours a day of making music on my laptop. My only regret is not checking it out sooner.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:27 pm

Is there anyway to rewire into multiple tracks in a DAW (Im currently using Tracktion) so that i could say....have all my drum programming playing on one track but all my synth stuff on another one where i could use some of the Tracktion plugs without altering the sound of the drums?

DJDM
gettin' sounds

Post by DJDM » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:22 am

Bigsby wrote:[snip]...(well, actually it'd be awesome to run EVERYTHING through a Scream).[snip]
I understand what you're saying about the audio ins. It would be convenient on some levels but the trade off on a performance level would make Reason cease to be Reason is my guess.
For what its worth I run all of my Reason tracks through a Scream: 2 Track Simulation setting.
I place it at the top of the rack between the final mixer and the hardware interface. Sounds great. Even with the new tools I'll probably still use this configuration. :)
In fact there is every possibility that I will not be using the mastering tools as mastering tools due to the fact that I have spent a lot of time working with some pretty deep settings in Sound Forge for my own basic mastering process. I really can't imagine that the tools in Reason are going to be able to compete with a couple of tools in there. But you never know.

DJDM
gettin' sounds

Post by DJDM » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:11 am

Wilkesin wrote:Is there anyway to rewire into multiple tracks in a DAW (Im currently using Tracktion) so that i could say....have all my drum programming playing on one track but all my synth stuff on another one where i could use some of the Tracktion plugs without altering the sound of the drums?
It's dependant on the ReWire host (in your case Tracktion) but you can have up to 64 tracks of independent ReWire tracks.
Tracktion's ReWire capability is quite good.
In Tracktion: Create two tracks and add a ReWire filter to both. In the filter edit window for the first track go to "output channel to use" and select "mix left" and "mix right" which is the default. On the next track do the same thing but select "channel 3" and "channel 4" for the left and right channels respectively.

Now go to Reason: Simply use the main audio out for one of the devices in question if you like and plug the other device into the next two channels of the hardware interface at the top of the rack. Just make sure that the channels correspond on the Hardware Interface and in your ReWire filters in Tracktion.
Does that make sense?