Network macs with pcs

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
mdulation
audio school

Network macs with pcs

Post by mdulation » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:18 pm

this is giving me a headache, I don't understand pcs at all and it won't cooperate with my mac
help me please :cry:

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Re: Network macs with pcs

Post by Tim Casey » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:28 am

1. I don't think you can - but I may be wrong.

2. Search dealmac.com for some answers.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:36 am

Are you trying to network so you can share an internet connection or to share files between the computers?
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:51 am

You should be able to do it in osx - if not, I think you can download remote Desktop Connection from Apple to do it. - T
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

dgochenour
pushin' record

Post by dgochenour » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:16 pm

It can definitely be done-- lots of companies run PCs but have art departments running Macs.

It's been a long time since I messed around on a Mac, but if you are trying to share an Internet connection, use IP addressing and the OS shouldn't matter. Just set up all machines with the default gateway to be the IP of your router (you have a router, right?) and use the appropriate subnet mask.

If you're runnning XP or 2K Pro on the PC, you could start the FTP server and move files that way. Or, if you are more mac-smart than I (which wouldn't be hard), you could set up the mac to see the Windows workgroups, domains, or whatever....

I know there are some network admins around here... Ayan?
Last edited by dgochenour on Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
don gochenour

mdulation
audio school

Post by mdulation » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:09 pm

mainly I wanna share files between the two computers, i don't have a router maybe i'll look into that

mechanic
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mechanic » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:29 pm

save yourself some bucks and use a crossover cable... (if you just want to transfer files occasionally)...

specifics on what OS's your using, and if they are already networked at all would allow us to help you.

You most definitely can do it.

mdulation
audio school

Post by mdulation » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:23 pm

1 laptop pc running win 2000, 4 g4s 2 of em running on os 9 and 2 of em running on os x as well as one g5 running os x
no existing network as of yet

mdulation
audio school

Post by mdulation » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:24 pm

so yeah basically i jus wanna swap some files occasionally

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:20 am

hey, i know a lot on this subject.

first off, if you have OS X, then you're in luck, it's super easy and works great.

under system prefs, make it look like this:

to access the PC on the mac, make sure you have your PC files/drives shared on the PC. Then in finder click Go from the menu -> Connect to server... should be pretty obvious what to do from there.

On the PC, just go browse network neighborhood and it should show up just the same...

If you need some more help, go here: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2 ... ac_pc.html

Now, if the case is you're on OS 9 or lower, there is still hope, but it's not as nice and easy. They make various programs, one of the best made by Thursby called DAVE. It works great for this application. http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

It runs on OS 9, and even X... though I don't understand why you'd want to get it if you have X and it does it automatically anyway...

oh, and I highly suggest a router for any network whatsoever. They're pretty much essential in my opinion, and they make everything easier.

well! I hope that helped. If you've any more questions, please ask. Good luck.

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:00 pm

It's pretty easy with OSX and XP. At least the Mac side is. You just turn on "Windows File Sharing" in your network prefs and thats about it. The windows side may take a bit more work. It's been awhile since I did it. I've got a PC and two macs all talking here.

If you just want a quick and dirty file transfer, start the Mac in Firwire Target mode and it acts like a Firewire hard drive. Just firewire it to the PC and transfer away.

If you use a crossover, you need to assign an IP address to each machine I think. It's not that hard, there is info on the net about it.