what computer should i get for nuendo?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
serene
audio school

what computer should i get for nuendo?

Post by serene » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:29 pm

i'm going to be running nuendo at home and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what computer i should get. if there are any articles or other threads i could read, any help in pointing me in those directions would be much appreciated.

ryan

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Re: what computer should i get for nuendo?

Post by stillafool » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:59 am

I have a dell dimension 8200 with 512 megs ram, a layla 24, ata 100 drives -- and it works great with Nuendo (and sonar, reason, wavelab, etc). I was going to build one, but I returned all of the parts, and bought the Dell, and I don't regret it. Excellent warranty/return policy. A very quiet case (I track acoustics right next to it -- it's that quiet). It was a bit frustrating to get it to work, but it never crashes anymore. If you buy one, get one with minimal applications, and with an upgrade pci soundblaster that you can remove. You also have to perform the recommended xp tweaks (with mine, setting virtual memory to 128 mb was critical). If you want something that you don't have to tweak, check out carillon (I think that's how you spell it) -- they build p.c. s with nuendo installed and configured (they even built one for charlie steinberg himself). They're a bit more expensive, though.

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:11 am

As far as threads, go to the nuendo forum (www.nuendo.net -- I think), and do a search of the forum for e.g., Dell, Sony, Carillon, ASUS, Abit, etc. I've done so myself, and I know Dells and Gateways generally have a decent reputation for audio; alot of people like Sony Vaio and Toshiba laptops. Alot of builder's recommend, for intel, the asus motherboard (I can't remember which one).

silversound
takin' a dinner break

Post by silversound » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:54 am

ASUS P4C800

Computers are so overpowered these days that most will work well for moderate needs. However if you plan to use NUENDO I take it you may want to work the cpu harder than most.

A quick breakdown

Fast CPU speed is always nice but mainly determines fx, mixing, softsythns ect. So get one as fast as you can if you plan to mix heavy.

Fast hardrive speed, mucho ram, and controller chips (motherboards) determine audio track count and you MUST get at least a 7200 rpm drive. So if you buy a prefab box make sure it has a 7200 rpm drive. Or better yet buy a second drive for audio.

Building your own is not that hard but will set you back in terms of time BEWARE!!! But in the end you MUST get to know as much as possible about computers as you can. There is nothing worse than somebody who says "I just want to record man" then complains because they can't make it work like their nerdy buddy down the street. And I say XP AND INTEL ONLY why bother saving a few bucks to just buck the system. ASUS ASUS ASUS ASUS motherboards. P4C800 is future compatible as well as prehistoric compatible.

I HATE PREFABS because they often lock you into something that wont cut it for hardcore recording needs. Thay also love to throw a bunch of crap in like speakers, fancy cases, noisy soundcards, spyware, shitware, and all sorts of garbage you don't need that just clutters up you registry and fills your drives up. Build your own if your inclined (unless you don't have much hair left to pull out).

So:

ASUS P4C800
INTEL P4 anything with an 800 mhz frontside bus
WINDOWS XP
400mhz ram as much as possible
SATA 130 Hardrive as big as possible or better yet two!
MAUDIO, RME, ECHO, PROTOOLS, ect sound card

good luck!
nelsonbemis@hotmail.com

p.s. try looking at www.pricewatch.com
pssst! hey pssst! Want some free software man? I'll throw it in if you buy my hardware.