Ripping vinyl to a CD?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
horacesqueeze
gimme a little kick & snare

Ripping vinyl to a CD?

Post by horacesqueeze » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:06 pm

Hey all,
I have a friend who has a HUGE record collection he would love to able to listen to in his car, at work, etc on cd. He bought a decent sound card to get the vinyl to his computer and asked me what was the best program (shareware or otherwise) to get to eliminate scratches and pops and clicks from his songs. I have no idea but I figured some of you would.

Any suggestions would be awesome,
Thanks in advance,
Miles
3 Things to remember : Bones Heal, chicks dig scars and America has the best doctor to daredevil ratio in the world!

DJDM
gettin' sounds

Re: Ripping vinyl to a CD?

Post by DJDM » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:34 pm

Sony markets all of the Noise Reduction 2.0 software that Sonic Foundry created. It works with any DirectX app such as Sound Forge et al.

Most importantly it kicks ass on scratchy old vinyl. :)

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Re: Ripping vinyl to a CD?

Post by andyg666 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:48 am

the built in stuff in cool edit pro--sorry, adobe audition works like a charm. it's best if used manually as much as possible, but the click and pop eliminator and the hiss reduction plug in work wonders on vinyl. recording at 24 bits is nice too--that way you capture a lot more depth and you don't have to worry about pushing the levels up to the digital ceiling. once clicks and pops and surface noise are lessened, normalize to 99% and you're good to go. this is a very time consuming process and to do it properly, i would suggest manually removing as many clicks and pops as possible. any click/pop or hiss eliminator is going to remove a lot of high-end sheen and ambience that may be present on the records. also important--a good phono preamp!