Shoegazers in Oly

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Re: Shoegazers in Oly

Post by loudmusic » Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:39 pm

Blue,
that a crime?
No. I was just wondering... like maybe down there they think Mackie is like Neve. They keep orchards of Neumans and sell them out on the street like apples??!! In the wunderland of Brazil the government passes out 2" machines.!!!!!

You wouldn't hold out on us if that were true would Blue??!!

You're too awesome.

marty

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:28 pm

i think you guys & I park our cars in the same garage.

looking for something in the OC

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:53 am

GrizzlyAtom wrote:Hello, I'm looking for musicians/knob twiddlers/pedal addicts in Olympia to form a shoegaze-rock project. I like the swirlies, broken social scene, swervedriver, all natural lemon & lime, etc. If interested email: electrictickle@yahoo.com Thanks!
where were you two years ago when i lived there? :cry: i got so sick of hippies and the smell of nag champa i had to fucking leave.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:48 am

thegunshyboy wrote:
where were you two years ago when i lived there? :cry: i got so sick of hippies and the smell of nag champa i had to fucking leave.
Damn, Ive been here for a few years now, too bad the hippies ran you off! If things don't change pretty soon, Im gonna be in the same boat.

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:05 pm

sounds like a great project too...right up my pedal junkie alley. are you going to school there or just living the tape op life? i met some great people in oly...unfortunately all the great people constitute about 3% of that town.

i miss rainy day records.

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:41 pm

thegunshyboy wrote:sounds like a great project too...right up my pedal junkie alley. are you going to school there or just living the tape op life? i met some great people in oly...unfortunately all the great people constitute about 3% of that town.

i miss rainy day records.
no school for me - just livin the tape op life. I completely agree about the great people here, they are really hard to find. There are a TON of kids who look like theyd be cool, and into starting new musical ventures, but its all about hipster posturing and being seen. style over substance.

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:42 am

aww. yes. the hipsters. another reason i had to leave. oly is one part hippy, one part hipster, one part govt. worker. mix well for a fun town :?

i remember going to shows and seeing people look at each other more than the band. i hated that shit...not only because i felt self-concious...but because i thought it was a shitty way to credit the band you were seeing. i would hate to be playing and then look out and see a sea of hipsters checking out each others cons.

durasoundrecordingco
steve albini likes it

Post by durasoundrecordingco » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:19 am

I grew up in Tacoma and in the late 80's / early 90's, Oly was the closest place to go for good all ages shows (other than the ones our community put on, and there were plenty). North Shore Surf Club, Thekla and Capitol Theater (most specifically the backstage) were the joints of choice.

As our group of Tacomans would enter in the backstage at the Capitol, all talk would stop and each persons head would turn to look at us. There would be a collective *snif* and they would turn back to their conversations of how cool their Fluevog's were or something. Really weird.

And I was all for the Riot Grrl movement, but you know, when I wanted to be up front at a Seaweed show or Nation of Ulyesses, I shouldn't have been taunted, punched or pushed by a bunch of womyn looking for equality within the scene. They were pulling the very shit they were supposedly railing against. Funny!
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe...thank you very much."
Carl Sagan - Genius

nomovingparts - "scientist space rock"

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:36 am

holydookiefunk!

Dura, I'm from T-Town about the same time too. Would make the same trips to Oly. Good times, good times. Miss my old Southgate tiffs on the b-ball court with all the Lakewood crips. Oh, what grand days those were.

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:53 pm

bump

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:35 pm

Bluepxl,
Viva la Carnival'!

Everyone is bitching about the scenes they live in, so I figured I would join in! I am so sick and tired of seeing rich, whiney, vintage camp wahanasu t-shirt wearing, over-priviledged, so freaking understood it's pathetic, kids trying to look like they have an iota of an idea what hard times are about. And singing, no wialing, these rehashed poor me, mantras about their struggles, to a four four, backbeat, shallow, incredibly lacking any feel, crap jingles that are more radio freindly than strippers on the Howard Stern show! (Not that there is anything wrong with strippers, without them lawyers would have a harder time making money). Oh yeah, and Cock Ayass!!!!
Drop the rich family, and thier just talentless hacks with no producer or engineer to make them sound good. Oh yeah, and I'm not bitter.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:06 pm

BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!!!!!!!! i need a band!!!

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:36 pm

so do i...but this isnt my post....(door creeks open and he slips out)

PS: been so digging Slowdive's Souvlaki....how come you gotta live in the South Sound?
boobs are life's fountain

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:10 pm

ottokbre wrote:so do i...but this isnt my post....(door creeks open and he slips out)

PS: been so digging Slowdive's Souvlaki....how come you gotta live in the South Sound?
now that you mention it, i have no idea why i live here or how i even ended up in this place! there are NO JOBS, its pretty damn expensive, there are no good local bands since unwound broke up, but i still love it for some reason.

btw - are you checking out broken social scene at the croc this weekend?

durasoundrecordingco
steve albini likes it

Post by durasoundrecordingco » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:18 am

Hey now, Tn'A is an awesome Oly band, so is C-Average. I do agree that Unwound is sorely missed. I took some great photos of them from their last tour.

Seriously though, if you get a chance to see Tn'A, do so. Ripping indie/jehu rock by cute women.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe...thank you very much."
Carl Sagan - Genius

nomovingparts - "scientist space rock"