Recording Forums You Visit to Learn From?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri May 02, 2008 5:32 pm

I sharpen my stalking skills at myspace and facebook.

*hangs out by pool*

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Fri May 02, 2008 6:37 pm

The Ableton Live forums are, firstly, very helpful for the program; nextly, it's very friendly and helpful over there.

Obviously the focus is Live, but composition, arrangement, and of course, total nonsense are on the table.

(Of course) it leans heavily electronic, but there are frequent calls for non-techno kinship (like, bands, and other vibrating string/membrane folk). I have no idea what some of the electro-micro-genres they talk about are sometimes.

anyway, it's good.
-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat May 03, 2008 2:06 pm

madtho wrote:The Ableton Live forums are, firstly, very helpful for the program; nextly, it's very friendly and helpful over there.

Obviously the focus is Live, but composition, arrangement, and of course, total nonsense are on the table.

(Of course) it leans heavily electronic, but there are frequent calls for non-techno kinship (like, bands, and other vibrating string/membrane folk). I have no idea what some of the electro-micro-genres they talk about are sometimes.

anyway, it's good.
-mad
good to know since i plan on purchasing that software in the near future.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat May 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Great info y'all. Anyone who has posted and uttered opinions, drop me an email with your real name, poster name and any URL or email address and I'll give credit for statements in the article if you want.

larry @ tapeop.com (remove the spaces)
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

nerdtronica
pluggin' in mics

Post by nerdtronica » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:38 pm

I visit http://www.studiotrax.net/ frequently. It is a very resourceful site, that has a lot of how-to info, a song criticism section, Gear specific sections, a whole bunch of helpful stuff.
I do notice that the site may be lacking a bit on certain genres of music, but none-the-less the techniques can be utilized across all genres.
I for one try to remain genre-less, so I can deal with that. Music is music to me.
But overall, the folks are pretty well versed over there. Like any forum, it does take a certain amount of investigation, to figure out who's opinions you value most. But, bad answers are not overlooked, there's always a fresh opinion/idea to keep those in check.
I look forward to visiting here more regularily, it seems like a great forum. Thanks for the great magazine.
Cheers

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:10 pm

I hit duc.digidesign.com too every once in awhile (if I'm trying to figure out something pro tools - specific) but the conversation is usually not as good over there. otherwise all of the above mentioned...

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

song-writer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by song-writer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:52 am

For those who have Tascam gear, looking through tascamforums.com can be helpful. It is especially useful in finding answers to operational questions that are either not in a manual or not adequately presented.
Song-Writer

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:50 pm

forum.nuendo.com

Of course, you have to own a full version of the software to not get flamed. And it's mostly Nuendo specific stuff.

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned rec.audio.pro yet. I don't go there much anymore, but I used to live there and got tons of great advice over on that board (newsgroup actually).
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.