Los Angeles Recording School

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

MikeBolta
audio school

Los Angeles Recording School

Post by MikeBolta » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:02 pm

Hey everyone,
I am a newbie here and have been recording bands for about two years with two of my friends, I have some experience on protools, using preamps, placing mics, and some editing but all of this is limited knowledge. I am from New jersey but I am moving to Los Angeles because I now want to try to take it to the next level and hope to engineer professionally. I have been very interested in the Los Angeles Recording School for some time, my question to everyone is do you have any knowledge of the school or is going to school the right approach. I read tapeOP message board/mag and the gearslutz board, and it seems their are a lot of people that go at it alone or intern and work their way up the pecking order. The school does seem very appealing to me, for all that they offer. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. I am very highly motivated to become an engineer, but just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks everyone!
Mike

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:14 am

I do not know much of the LA recording school but do know of school. School will not teach you how to make things sound good. This is something you need to learn on your own. What school will do for you is teach you the workings of the studio. This will arm you with the knowledge of troubleshooting and being able to work around things that have gone wrong with the equipment.

I have a friend and he is an excellent engineer as long as things work properly and the way he is used to doing it. He is stopped in his tracks when something goes wrong and I get a phone call to talk him through it. Now if I was the client and my engineer was having to call someone else for help I might think twice about hiring them again.

But with anything you will get out of school what you put into it. The certificate will get you no where in the industry. Also everything the school teaches can be found in books, on the internet, making friends with other engineers and picking their brains etc...

Good luck.

Mike