TLM 49

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

2db
audio school graduate

TLM 49

Post by 2db » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:24 am

It's become my upright bass mic, It's very tight, it's very focused and it's very full. I love it for that. Being a bass player, it's made my life easy.

The TLM 49 is consistent, Recording the upright has always been a formidable challenge. We could leave it set up and the next day it would be different, but this mic seems to be a good solution every time. I tried a lot of mics just for the string bass. I've made some changes to my bass rig, too, but I've always had two great basses, and now I use very little of the pickup. I just use the TLM 49."

The TLM 49 has also streamlined recording workflow. I normally go in and record my parts after the other players leave. Before the 49, I would have three mics up and I'd be EQ'ing and compressing them. But with this mic, I just put it in front of the bass in the classic miking position?by the f-hole?which I never was able to use before. It's great that way; not only is it a great sounding mic, but it's easy to set up. And now, when I'm writing, a lot of the time I keep it set up, and instead of doing it in MIDI first, I just record it, so I only have to do it once."

It performed well as a kick drum mic and sounded great on vocals, I feel there are some voices that we'll use the TLM 49 on over other mics. The TLM 49 is big but it's very tight, and that's a nice combination.

-David Schwartz
------------------------------

http://mixonline.com/news/headline/neum ... tz-111006/