marcata recording... harlem, bearsville, and the gunks

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

sparechessroom
studio intern

marcata recording... harlem, bearsville, and the gunks

Post by sparechessroom » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:38 pm

marcata recording has relocated and grown. right around the time that we were kicked out of our harlem location, i was also working as a tech to rebuild a new incarnation of a legendary studio that was purchased by a friend of mine. this was the old bearsville studio, the larger complex that had been sold before bearsville was relocated into the barn that became bearsville at turtlecreek which should not be confused with where i am talking about. sadly this studio was never allowed to get off the ground due to legal matters about it not being allowed to be a commercial entity which is big news for a small town, and so had enough attention paid to it to actually make it a big enough deal that it was mercilessley hammered legally into the ground despite the small number of recordings that were ever able to happen there before all was finally lost. and despite the loving, and respectfull nature of how we tried to deal with it, and how special it was to myself, and the few other persons who was able to access it, and what care we took in only bringing the most dear things to us there to record, making sure never to have it simply become a place to make $, and trying to thank whatever stars had aligned to make this facility available to us. to make a long long story short, somehow out of the mire that was the closing of two very special places to me, i was able to relocate both studios into one really big barn in gardiner ny... which i like to think is a madd maxx version of the famous studio opened by albert grossman so many years ago, mixed with the equally chaotic nature of what marcata always was. now is a time of fallen studios, consoles going to landfill because they are too big to bother selling, and a loss of superstition in the magic that should be the recording process, but there is an oasis in the desert if you are looking for it. there is lots to be learned about how older studios were built, and though great things do happen in bedrooms, and basements, there are lessons lost that need to be remembered for this to be progress. we are trying! www.myspace.com/marcata
it's either gonna be the u 47 or the sm 57
www.myspace.com/marcata

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:45 pm

what the hell?

sparechessroom
studio intern

Post by sparechessroom » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:17 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:what the hell?
i guess you wouldn't get it.
www.myspace.com/marcata

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:32 pm

looks like a lovely place. Congrats. 65ft!

mrclean
pushin' record

Looks great!

Post by mrclean » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:51 pm

The photos look great!

Good luck with the new space!
-- mrclean

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:22 pm

sparechessroom wrote:
thethingwiththestuff wrote:what the hell?
i guess you wouldn't get it.
that's super clever there, bruce.

sorry, just was confused why there were two of these posts in the tapeop magazine section. perhaps the studio was in a previous issue that i missed?

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:25 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote: perhaps the studio was in a previous issue that i missed?
it was.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:34 pm

syrupcore wrote:
thethingwiththestuff wrote: perhaps the studio was in a previous issue that i missed?
it was.
sweet, now i "get it" like new yorkers.

the place certainly does look awesome, nice score

sparechessroom
studio intern

Post by sparechessroom » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:52 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:
syrupcore wrote:
it was.
sweet, now i "get it" like new yorkers.

the place certainly does look awesome, nice score
thanks! sorry for the "clever" reply. i was just shocked to think i would be slammed within 30 seconds of posting that. :lol: :oops:
www.myspace.com/marcata