Recording Forums You Visit to Learn From?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Recording Forums You Visit to Learn From?

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu May 01, 2008 4:38 pm

Besides this fabulous TOMB, where else do folks go for online knowledge? I'm thinking of making a tiny article on this. I already know about Gearslutz... duh, trying to find a variety of new-to-me ones.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu May 01, 2008 5:49 pm

Honestly, I've tried reading other magazines and message boards. But, in the end, TapeOp and the TOMB are the only ones that don't feel like a complete waste of time. So many of those mags and boards are busting at the seams with posers who have more money than brains or talent. The signal to noise ratio is better here than anyplace else.

I do think that the product specific messageboards like cubase.net or unicornation.com are useful if you have specific questions. But, I definitely wouldn't hang at those places socially.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu May 01, 2008 6:04 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:The signal to noise ratio is better here than anyplace else.
I agree.
That said, www.homerecording.com has a useful messageboard. I use gearslutz to search posts about specific pieces of gear, the Sonar forum for specific questions relating to that, and recording.org every now and again for general perusal.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Thu May 01, 2008 6:36 pm

I find searching at gearslutz useful, especially for specific technical info.

That board gets a bad rep over here, some of them know stuff. The TOMB tribe makes better conversation though.

[edited for clarity]
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu May 01, 2008 7:12 pm

just a little on the topic of using/visiting multiple message boards...

I find that you really have to spend quite a bit of time at a board in order to get a feel for who really knows what they're talking about and who's just a "message board expert"... I've seen bad advice given in a way that would imply that the person giving the advice had enough experience to justify dispensing said advice, when it was pretty clear that they didn't. I see stuff like that a lot. I also see a lot of people banging their heads against a wall chasing something that is not there, just because enough people said it on a message board. I've made bad decisions based on bad message board advice. So, for me, I eventually made the decision that in order to be taken seriously on any advice that I give, I should probably be pretty active on the board. And, I take advice from people that are also active on the board and who have proven to be trustworthy a little more seriously than some anonymous name that I don't know.

I think that the community aspect of the board is really important if you want to cut through some of the static and confusion.

So, for me personally, I don't have time to be really active on more than a couple of boards. I post regularly here and on a local music message board. When I'm using other boards, it's almost always via the search engine of those boards. And, even then, I don't really know who I can trust on those boards, so I take that into consideration.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Thu May 01, 2008 7:53 pm

thanks, that one was new to me!

as well as gearslutz (i check for info but am not active there), and the TOMB, i also sometimes check:

http://studioforums.com/eve/ubb.x

for general studio stuff

http://webbd.nls.net/webboard/wbpx.dll/ ... ing/guests

for mastering info

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/

for plugins

as well as various instrument (modular synth and bass guitar) and software specific forums, can list them if you'd like larry.

Danly
takin' a dinner break

Post by Danly » Thu May 01, 2008 8:13 pm

when i run out of stuff to read on tapeop,
i read albini's board electrical audio www.electrical.com
and fletcher and j hall at psw http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/

Danly
takin' a dinner break

Post by Danly » Thu May 01, 2008 8:24 pm

OH yeah, and how could I forget prodigy? There is SO much info there to soak up. Electrical is for when i'm bored, Prodigy is for when i need to learn. Tape Op is great for both!

www.prodigy-pro.com/forum

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu May 01, 2008 10:46 pm

the womb

mixerman is like the joel hamilton of the "dark side"
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri May 02, 2008 2:59 am

Afterthought: The gear reviews at harmonycentral.com can be useful, especially for red flags. Even the musicians friend reviews help, although some reviewers must be company sockpuppets -- everything seems to get 5 stars out of 5.

As S-A P says above, it's harder to weigh opinions when you haven't seen a lot of previous posts by the reviewer.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri May 02, 2008 5:23 am

Yeah, I generally trust the gear reviews on Harmony Central if it's for guitar pedals, amps, and instruments. I've submitted a few there, and not always glowing.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri May 02, 2008 5:33 am

mjau wrote:Yeah, I generally trust the gear reviews on Harmony Central if it's for guitar pedals, amps, and instruments. I've submitted a few there, and not always glowing.
it's not too hard to tell which reviews to ignore. like if you're reading reviews on a compressor pedal and somebody has written "this pedal sukcs its so noisey!! !" and they describe their "rig" which consists of like 3 echo pedals before the amp, a wah in the fx loop, compressor in the fx loop, etc.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri May 02, 2008 5:58 am

mjau wrote:Yeah, I generally trust the gear reviews on Harmony Central if it's for guitar pedals, amps, and instruments. I've submitted a few there, and not always glowing.
I guess

i usually read for warnings there. Hard to know if you can trust positive reviews for a variety of reasons.

I finally had to stop reading homerecording.com. I got the feeling that people would say anything about any gear or technique for personal rather than practical reasons.

Gearslutz is a great resource and I often search it for references to specific things. Not as good a read as tomb on the balance, but a bit larger "database" if that makes sense. I can't seem to search tomb via google the way I can with gearslutz, which is sometimes frustrating.

For bass things I like talkbass.com

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am

The only other board I actually learn from is Sonikmatter for Logic stuff. I think that's a good board.

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Fri May 02, 2008 7:47 am