DIY Pop Filter ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

DIY Pop Filter ?

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:14 am

DIY pop-filter. Some thoughts and questions.
I recently made a couple filters with some large metal washers (4? with 3?? hole) and some high quality metal screen.
Cut the screen to size, epoxy the screen to the washer, and then to a threaded stand mount. My attempt looks nice and functions great, but does anyone know if having a metal filter can affect the magnetic flux in a ribbon mic? re:(the mass of metal in the washer)

Lots of people have made a pop filter from some old pantyhose and an embroidery hoop. Another option is to use a metal screened coffee filter, if the filter is sectioned, cut one section out and epoxy it to a treaded stand mount.

Anyone use filters for applications other than vocals, like kick drum?
Any other pop filter thoughts / ideas?
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:29 am

Post a pic, that sounds really very cool!

Marik
gettin' sounds

Re: DIY Pop Filter ?

Post by Marik » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:15 pm

wintershed wrote: does anyone know if having a metal filter can affect the magnetic flux in a ribbon mic? re:(the mass of metal in the washer)
It would have effect if the large metal piece was placed directly into the gap, shorting out the flux. With the distance you have there is nothing to worry about.
Some ribbons have a mesh made out of magnetic metal in the gap. In addition to protecting and damping the ribbon, it "catches" small metal particles.

vibrationlander
alignin' 24-trk

Post by vibrationlander » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:59 am

for a pop filter i am seconding the panty hose with a cross-stitching hoop . . .
another thing that works well is a grease-splatter lid for a frying pan. all it is, is a tight metal mesh on a circular frame, with a handle long enough for clamping onto a mic stand.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:27 am

Here, posting this for wintershed...

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:05 am

c'mon, you knew someone was going to ask. What's with the horn bell? Is it for isolation? I would think it would by ringy as heck.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:43 am

Thanks inverseroom for posting the picture.

The filter has the embroidery hoop and metal screen epoxy glued together. It works great and looks kinda neat. (to me)

The horn mic thing: just a 57 with an old trumpet bell. Changes the sound. It really has this old victrola-y sound, that is fun to use. If you want to try this, go down to your local band rental shop and ask if they have any total junkers. Large horn bells work great for LDC's.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:06 pm

Forgive me if this is obvious but - the filter is mounted on a second mic stand, yes?

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:35 pm

vibrationlander wrote:for a pop filter i am seconding the panty hose with a cross-stitching hoop . . .
another thing that works well is a grease-splatter lid for a frying pan. all it is, is a tight metal mesh on a circular frame, with a handle long enough for clamping onto a mic stand.
Yeah. I do something similar. If I'm using a pop filter, I do a homeade thing. Take a wire hanger, bend it, and stretch a pair of panty hose over the modified hanger. I mount this to my microphone stand with either tape or string. I've also used a sock, tying the filter in front of the mic, to achieve this purpose. Whatever works. I don't have a lot of money. I'm sure as heck not going to spend $60 on something, when I can McGyver something that works just as well, for free.

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:37 am

Pop filters start at about $20. They look way better than homemade jobs, and are very adjustable, with goosenecks and threaded mounts. Why not just buy one? Just curious. The homemade panyhose ones are a bitch to mount, and the vocalist has to look at this thing all session. Not that you didn't do a bang-up job, but why?
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:57 pm

The homemade panyhose ones are a bitch to mount, and the vocalist has to look at this thing all session. Not that you didn't do a bang-up job, but why?
I agree, the homemade ones can look like shit. Some of us don't care what they look like, others do. I have a professional pop filter with the gooseneck, and its okay. But, I thought I?d make one while listening to some records, just for fun. Why make one when it?s only $20? Cause I can, it was kinda fun, and I can put that $20 towards something I can?t make. Like Jeff's gobos. :roll:

mrclean
pushin' record

I'll throw my design in here...

Post by mrclean » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:30 pm

I built the "Embroidery Hoop" style screen and wrote about it here:

http://www.deansabatino.com/2005/08/21/67/

Cheap - but it works...
-- mrclean

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:02 pm

I remember seeing in Metallica's Nothing Else Matters video, James Hetfield singing into some pantyhose.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:56 pm

Rufer wrote:I remember seeing in Metallica's Nothing Else Matters video, James Hetfield singing into some pantyhose.
was your mom wearing them?

oops. sorry larry.

I have a commercial one. I thought about making one, but this came with a boom stand I got for cheap and works well, so there wasn't any point in making one anymore.