a pair of room mics in the $1000 range. Suggestions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the riff
takin' a dinner break

a pair of room mics in the $1000 range. Suggestions?

Post by the riff » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:46 pm

Looking to buy some room mics...

I've used those blue baby bottles before and liked those pretty good. I'm considering those but wanted to see what you guys thought.

A while ago I borrowed another cmv-563 (I own one) and absolutely loved that combination. I'm afraid buying another one of those right now might be out of my spending range...

mn412
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mn412 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:41 pm

If it were me I would go with Audio Technica 4033's you could probably pick up a pair for half of what your looking to spend

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:17 pm

I have a AT4047 right now..

Maybe I could just pick up another one of those?

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:59 pm

i suppose it depends what you are trying to get out of your room mics...

but my first thought was a pair of small omnis like earthworks or avenson. when i think of a pair of room mics, i think of a tool for getting the most honest, complete picture of what is happening in the room. for some situations, this could form the main sound of the recording, with close mics just coming in to help with balance or to highlight a solo or something. for other situations, you'd use mainly the close mics and just dial in a bit of the room pair to add some space to the sound.

most of my experience is with recording groups of people live playing in a room. uncolored room mics have been really helpful for what i do.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:56 pm

Avensons or AT 4050s. Hands-down for me. The 4050s are cool because they're multi-pattern, so you've got some different options, but the Avensons just sound so good and are small. I regularly use these mics even when there are much more expensive mics around. I suppose things might be different if I had a pair of Blue Bottles around (not the Baby Bottles) because those are ridiculous as room mics, but definitely a ways out of your $1000 limit.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:07 pm

I just bought another 4047 and 2 baby bottles so I'll most likely use 2 of them for rooms and the other for overheads...

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:56 am

cgarges wrote: I suppose things might be different if I had a pair of Blue Bottles around (not the Baby Bottles) because those are ridiculous as room mics, but definitely a ways out of your $1000 limit.
Agreed! I have one Bottle, and use it as a mono room mic all the time. Absolutely *amazing*!!! The B4 omni capsule run through a Distressor on Nuke is a sound to die for! I wish I had a pair...

I think the 4047s will work out well for you Riff, cardioid only, but they should do nicely as room mics,a nd put the baby bottles as OHs...sound cool to me! Try them both ways as you mention, ya never know! I think the 4047s would sound good as OHs, but not sure about the baby bottles as room mics, but hey, whatever sounds good, right?

Good luck!
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra