DAV bg1

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

DAV bg1

Post by luckybastard » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:33 am

has anyone tried any of the DAV stuff? looks pretty cool. i keep hearing good things about the bg1. also wonder what their compressor sounds like...

www.davelectronics.com

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:59 am

I think their compressor and mastering eq are more expensive than the BG1.

I have the BG1 and love it. I do mostly acoustic music and the little DAV unit is my favorite on piano.
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:14 am

Do you have a point of reference as far as the character of the pre?

hopeless_opus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hopeless_opus » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:21 pm

I have read a lot about it, and even considered buying it for a while. (went with the Hamptone JFET which I love) The BG#1 is supposedly extremely clean, but musical, smooth and very open sounding. The people I have encountered who have bought it are extremly fanatical about how great it is. It is designed by an engineer from the glory days of Decca and based on their console pres of the 70's. Decca was most renowned for their "classical" recordings.

I decided it wasn't right for me as I do mostly rock stuff and wanted transformers, but if you do acoustic music it's probably great.

they also just released the BG#6 which is a stereo compressor/limiter priced very near the BG#1.

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:32 pm

I think of it as a 'clean' sound.... but it is also slightly colored. It gives a big sound but not a thick one. It's not Millenia or Crookwood Paintpot clean but doesn't lend the lower mid thickness that Hamptone Jfet does . It doesn't have any direct ins and has only one phantom button which operates both channels.

Those are my only 2 pres currently and I'm very pleased with not only bang for buck value but high quality of both units.

I have parts and boards for 2 channels of Green Pre which I hope to build before middle of January. Looking forward to that!

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:15 pm

My Green Pre is not built yet!

Go to http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... ndID=87179 and listen to a bit of 'For Foolishness' to hear BG1 on drums [with only 2 Avensons] or/and listen to 'Lo, How A Rose' to hear it on solo piano.

They are quite different from each other but I think the BG1 shines on both.

- Did you hear about the salmon who was swimming up river and hit a concrete wall?

- She said 'Dam!'.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:19 pm

So...how does the Dav pre differ.... lets see.... the RNP or Sytek ( sound wise)? Thanks!
I tried to go to the sample link of the DAv above, but couldn't get it! :oops: Anyone has a sample of the Dav in action, in MP3 format?... :wink: