best analog summing $5k or less

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gobenji
audio school

best analog summing $5k or less

Post by gobenji » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:09 pm

ok, i've read all the hype and now i've heard the difference at a few studios. time for a true show of hands. what's the best analog summing box for $5k or less...

benji
http://www.mus-ok.com/temp_2/strokes.html

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:36 pm

Ya know there used to be this cool thing back in the day that had a ton of features all integrated into one box - damn, it had mic pres, pan pots, faders, eq's, compressors, monitoring routers, sub busses, aux busses, AND summing busses!!! They called it a "mixing console".

Ya kinda gotta admire the marketing forces that have instead made us buy all of this stuff just one piece at a time...

Best regards,
Steve Berson

demonfuzz
audio school

Post by demonfuzz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:34 pm

Depending on # of channels you need, the API 8200 series will run you well under 5K.

I can tell you they sound great.
(and the 8200a beats the hell out of summing inside the Digi 002.)

Hear good things bout these as well:

Audient Sumo (has a compressor on 2-buss too)
SPL Mixdream
Phoenix Nicerizer

PS; I also have an analog console which used to be my main workhorse.
Sounds great, killer EQ's, etc...
My console now sits in storage, the space I am saving is a good trade off for me & I have not compromised sound quality.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:10 pm

Cellotron wrote:Ya know there used to be this cool thing back in the day that had a ton of features all integrated into one box - damn, it had mic pres, pan pots, faders, eq's, compressors, monitoring routers, sub busses, aux busses, AND summing busses!!! They called it a "mixing console".

Ya kinda gotta admire the marketing forces that have instead made us buy all of this stuff just one piece at a time...

Best regards,
Steve Berson
ahah thats awesome. totally. I mix stems out of a digi 001 and ai-3 into my soundtracs project 8.. I sum it to L/R and then out of the board, but also send those to two channels onto my API 3124 then back into the A/D convertion wich is again, the digi 001 to record the two track mix.... Some people are probably like.. wtf.. the soundtracs then the api.., but i find i like the way it sounds.. makes things sound more fun. and how can one argue with more fun, fuck, i sure cannot, i'll take an extra side of fun please, and some more beans. I'd llike to borrow a couple of channels of "nice" A/D convertion to see what i'm losing/gaining by going back throught digi 001 again rather than something hella spensive.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:14 pm

oh and just to clarify.. I'm not endorsing soundtracs, api or digidesign or alesis.. that's just what i've got, and what i use, and i try to make it work and shit.. oh and i try not to shop at best buy. But i have had sex with people who do. and i'm going to drink another glass of wine.

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:25 am

alrighty then...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:32 am

lharless wrote:alrighty then...
*covers lharless' ears* oops sorry! inside joke!

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:56 am

too funny. you guys having inside jokes... ha!

i don't get out of the cave enough to have inside jokes with anyone. NO FAIR!!!

lee

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:27 am

Trodden, thanks for making me laugh. :lol:

Dude, making it sound cool and more "fun" is what it's all about, that's awesome. I have a very similar rig to yours, 001 and two behringer ADA 8000's, one for in and one for out. Mixing on a mackie 24x8 and getting great mixes. You don't need to spend huge money to get better stereo conversion back into PT for your mix! Pick up a used tascam dat player or something, I see them all the time for about $100. I have an old sony, not even as nice as a tascam, and the converters destroy the 001. Or grab the behringer, they are cheap and sound damn good. 001 converters are ick city.

I would rather have a really cool mixing desk than a summing box, personally. But I suppose if one appeared magically on my doorstep I would rejoice and use it heartily...

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:01 am

Why not save up another 5k and get a Neve Kelso mixer? It's 8 or 10 channels, and you get Neve Eq's and mic pre's!

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:28 pm

I've got my eyes on this bad boy - Shadow Hills GAMA Deluxe

gobenji
audio school

Post by gobenji » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:00 pm

Cellotron wrote:Ya know there used to be this cool thing back in the day that had a ton of features all integrated into one box - damn, it had mic pres, pan pots, faders, eq's, compressors, monitoring routers, sub busses, aux busses, AND summing busses!!! They called it a "mixing console".

-----

yeah but i don't have use for 8-16 channels of anything in my studio. and at that i can't remember the last time i recorded something in stereo except for my reverb sends. (i know that comment is going to get a lot of flack) but hey, it's the zero's and you can buy 1 channel of this and 1 channel of that. both methods of recording / mixing have their advantages. whatever works for you is best for you and thats that.
www.mus-ok.com
its cool. really it is.

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Post by TooLoFi » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:02 pm

A-Barr wrote:Why not save up another 5k and get a Neve Kelso mixer? It's 8 or 10 channels, and you get Neve Eq's and mic pre's!
Or up the ante another 5K and get this http://www.mil-media.com/docs/products/ ... uite.shtml

Check out the Chandler Limited as well (Abbey Road Schematics used for their design.)

or these guys http://www.dangerousmusic.com/

Also, mackie and behringer also make super quiet boards. If you got skills, you could probably make your mixes sound good on any board.

Greg
going one way down a wrong way street