Partitions flipped... AHHHH! (edited)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Partitions flipped... AHHHH! (edited)

Post by DeafinONEear » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:01 pm

Hey guys, hope you're all well.

I'm having problems booting. After having to do some windows restore to fix some problems I had with cracked software screwing up my system, it seems that somehow the partitions on my primary HDD have been flipped, i.e. what was once c: is now labled d: and vice versa, meaning that now whenever the computer starts up I get "reboot and select proper boot device" unless I go into boot options menu.
The funny thing is that when I actually do boot into windows, the partition labled "system" has gone back to being assigned c: and all the other partitions are assigned correctly too.

I've reset the BIOS to default, and keep trying to select the correct drive as the primary boot device, but it just seems to have swapped c and d, and I can't get them straighteded out.

Anyone have any ideas here? I'd really like to be able to compute and get the old recording going again.

Thanks!
Zach

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:03 pm

this is one of those "bring your computer over and i'll take a look" scenarios! But since we're on opposite coasts. . . .

what did you exactly do when you "did some windows restore?" did you touch the hardware at all? did you reformat? repartition? Sounds like you reinstalled windows without reformatting. . .

-James

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:53 pm

or maybe swapped the cable connectors on your hard drives?

marc
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Partitions flipped... AHHHH! (edited)

Post by marc » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:46 pm

DeafinONEear wrote:unless I go into boot options menu.
The funny thing is that when I actually do boot into windows
So wait, when you say "boot options" menu, do you mean setting the boot order in the BIOS? Also, if you're able to consistently boot Windows, what exactly is the problem? I'm mostly confused because you mention that the partitions on your primary drive are getting flipped, but then also talk about setting the boot device, which would mean the physical device..

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:46 pm

As a unix guy, I'm not sure what to say, but if you right click on My Computer, and select Manage, I think you can assign drive letters in Drive Management, or something. I have also had a lot to drink, so maybe you should try google.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:49 pm

Kevin Kitchel wrote:As a unix guy, I'm not sure what to say, but if you right click on My Computer, and select Manage, I think you can assign drive letters in Drive Management, or something. I have also had a lot to drink, so maybe you should try google.
Nope nope, can't change the drive letter on the system volume. You're right about the rest, though.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:51 pm

I'm a little confused about what is going on, but perhaps you want to look into using fdisk to set your primary partition on that drive.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:56 pm

Phiz wrote:I'm a little confused about what is going on
I think we all are. It'd be nice if the OP could chime in and clarify things a little.