What is this Radio Shack EQ Everybody's Talking About?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Cellotron wrote:
jtienhaara wrote: PM'ed you Steve.
Are you sure - cause I didn't get it. You can email me directly at sb at totalsonicmedia dot com
OK, will try that. The PM system has been on the fritz a bit lately.

Cellotron wrote:hmmm... what should I get - a 7 band fixed Q unbalanced stereo eq made by a company that never put more than $200 parts & labor into any of their products - or a Class A discrete fully parametric eq made with loving care by one of the top audio processor designers of our day? Yeah - you're right - it is a tough decision.
The RSEQ isn't fully discrete class A? How can it possibly sound so good if it's not class A?!?

I would have thought it was a tough decision too. But honestly Steve, class A discrete is better than anything with ICs in it. It always sounds better, and it works better and lasts longer too. It may sound like a tough decision because of all the hype here and on GearSlutz etc, but honestly I think you'd be way better off going with the discrete class A EQ. You'll thank me for it in the end.

$0.02!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:27 pm

jtienhaara wrote:
Cellotron wrote:
jtienhaara wrote: PM'ed you Steve.
Are you sure - cause I didn't get it. You can email me directly at sb at totalsonicmedia dot com
OK, will try that. The PM system has been on the fritz a bit lately.

Cellotron wrote:hmmm... what should I get - a 7 band fixed Q unbalanced stereo eq made by a company that never put more than $200 parts & labor into any of their products - or a Class A discrete fully parametric eq made with loving care by one of the top audio processor designers of our day? Yeah - you're right - it is a tough decision.
The RSEQ isn't fully discrete class A? How can it possibly sound so good if it's not class A?!?

I would have thought it was a tough decision too. But honestly Steve, class A discrete is better than anything with ICs in it. It always sounds better, and it works better and lasts longer too. It may sound like a tough decision because of all the hype here and on GearSlutz etc, but honestly I think you'd be way better off going with the discrete class A EQ. You'll thank me for it in the end.

$0.02!
Steve is buying my RSEQ, i'm giving him a deal though, $34.99.

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:32 pm

trodden wrote:Steve is buying my RSEQ, i'm giving him a deal though, $3499.99.
You don't have a blackface RSEQ, faker!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:34 pm

jtienhaara wrote:
trodden wrote:Steve is buying my RSEQ, i'm giving him a deal though, $3499.99.
You don't have a blackface RSEQ, faker!
shhhhhhh. spraypaint.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:55 pm

A few questions:

- Have you ever seen or used one of these moded RSEQs?
- Have you heard anything that had the RSEQ on it?
- Have you seen the schematics/understand the reasoning behind its sound or the modifications that have been referred to here?

thanks!

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:07 pm

Mr. Dipity wrote:
A few questions:

- Have you ever seen or used one of these moded RSEQs?
- Have you heard anything that had the RSEQ on it?
- Have you seen the schematics/understand the reasoning behind its sound or the modifications that have been referred to here?

thanks!
Dude I don't know who you are but you clearly don't understand what "Class A Discrete" means.

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:22 pm

Cellotron wrote:
Seifer wrote:am I the only one that gets it

cause I got it right when I looked at the pic of the "plugin"
Actually - I think it's being put out by these guys -
http://www.sonicfinger.com/ -
they just haven't updated their website with it yet...

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Damn, what a perfect Friday reference. Fucking funny. Between that and Rad Monkey, any day is a great day. Mary Lou Retton just about made me pee in my pants. Goddamn, that's funny.
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:47 pm

"Hello, my name is Steve Berson. I'm going to go now, because I have to be a dick on the internet to people who don't use the same gear as me. I will beat them with a metal rack unit, because I am real strict about what gear I do and do not like. If you do not agree with Steve Berson you got to pay the price."

Are we still debating this stupid little EQ on page 10? People use it, and like it, and if they think it's worth $3000 then that's what they think. Why are you so offended? Furthermore, why do you think people care what kind of EQ *you* use? Nobody does, especially not when you go off on a tear about how awful this thing sounds when you haven't even heard it.

Is there anything else you have to say about this box, or are you going to lend Tape Op Message Board the courtesy of listening to it before you post again.

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:50 pm

BTW I'm going to grab that plugin when it comes out, and hock my RSEQ if the plugin sounds as good... I could use three grand. I sure as hell didn't pay three grand for it when I bought it...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:54 pm

It just gets better and better.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:56 pm

toothpastefordinner wrote:Is there anything else you have to say about this box, or are you going to lend Tape Op Message Board the courtesy of listening to it before you post again.
If only VSV could be loaded up and we could hear what Mary Lou Retton thought of the RSEQ...
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:00 pm

cgarges wrote:It just gets better and better.
by page 25 it will be a "vintage" thread and you'll have to pay big bucks to read it.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:19 pm

toothpastefordinner wrote:BTW I'm going to grab that plugin when it comes out, and hock my RSEQ if the plugin sounds as good... I could use three grand. I sure as hell didn't pay three grand for it when I bought it...
- The plug in is certainly not out of beta yet, I wouldn't hold your horses - IMO it doesn't even qualify as >in< beta at this point. PM me - maybe I can get permission to send you what I have got. It would be >great< to get the opinion of someone who can compare it to the original. though. Details and explanations in PM.

- DON'T use it on in any critical 'on the clock' situation at this point - it's not completely functional yet, and back up your song files, to be sure.

- I know I said it was pretty sweet earlier, but as far as I can tell at ths point, I wouldn't sell my RSEQ yet, if I had one. Not dinging it, but I'm not as overwhelmed right now. You be the judge, though - PM me your contact info.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:28 pm

toothpastefordinner wrote:"Hello, my name is Steve Berson. I'm going to go now, because I have to be a dick on the internet
Dude -
mellow out. I've never called you any names here - what's up with that? Geez - I don't even know you.
If you're going to talk shit at least be a man and sign your name to your post.
to people who don't use the same gear as me. I will beat them with a metal rack unit, because I am real strict about what gear I do and do not like. If you do not agree with Steve Berson you got to pay the price."
That's not what I'm trying to communicate here at all. There are tons of options for gear out there. But most people have limited money to get said gear with. I was just trying in what I thought was a humorous way to relate what I thought was a better use of said funds if we're actually talking about a $3g budget. But ultimately - people can do whatever they like - no skin off my back - and if they want to prove one of PT Barnum's theorems all over again - that's cool too.
Are we still debating this stupid little EQ on page 10?
well - I was having fun on this thread until your post...
People use it,
who? and on what? trust me - I think it's more than safe to say that no dedicated mastering house in North America is using or has ever used one of these.
and like it, and if they think it's worth $3000 then that's what they think.
Well - a piece of hardware's value can be determined by lots things. One is the cost of materials that it is made of. One is it's rarity vs. desirability. One is it's initial retail cost. One is the amount of lifetime left for its forward usefulness. etc. etc.

Now as far as the first item - no way did RS EVER put that much into any of the gear they made. Granted - if someone has added really high quality input and output transformers and caps then just those parts might have added close to a g's worth of value. But thing that makes a "sleeper" unit a good buy versus better known gear with proven track record is that you can get the sleeper gear for cheap.
So based on all that - yes - my opinion is that someone is in fact an idiot if they spend $3 large on one of these babies. But that's just me.
Why are you so offended?
Geez - I'm not. Why are you so bent out of shape?
Furthermore, why do you think people care what kind of EQ *you* use? Nobody does,
Not true - a number of my clients have expressed curiosity after hearing the results I've given them. I was just relating what some relatively inexpensive options for some eq's that I've found via direct experience that do in fact work well across the 2 buss are.
Is there anything else you have to say about this box, or are you going to lend Tape Op Message Board the courtesy of listening to it before you post again.
Nope - I'll do whatever I need to do just to specifically annoy you. :wink:
Okey dokey?

Really -
People can do whatever they like. Some people are just taking the piss outta everything in their posts in this thread, some are really seriously pulling the chain, and some are actually taking all of this fairly seriously. I was kind of veering on being silly myself in taking it a little more seriously - but unlike you I never called anyone names here.

I think I was quite clear in my initial posts on this thread that things like Radio Shack EQ's do in fact have the potential for creative uses. Heck - I OWN a Radio Shack PZM and have in fact used it to track things in the past numerous times. Got a Radio Shack SPL meter that is sitting right on my studio desk in fact - and I think I've built a few cables using Radio Shack solder & RCA connectors too. I've got nothing against the company.

Still - there's a really nice scene in tne movie "Rainman" where Dustin Hoffman finally learns to say "Kmart sucks."
Kind of the same thing here...

Best regards,
Steve Berson

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:40 pm