Sub-$500 Stereo Pair

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

griff505
audio school graduate

Sub-$500 Stereo Pair

Post by griff505 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:13 am

Does anyone have any experience with a sub-$500 stereo pair of small-diaphragm condensers?

I hesitate to go for the nt-5's when I haven't read only good things about them.

Thanks!!

Mark.

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:10 am

My only experience with Sub-500 SD condensers was the AKG C1000's. I didnt realize how bad they were until I upgraded. They're sometimes cool on guitar Amps and snares.
Just a warning to stay away from them for the time being.

I had a pair of AT3035's Large Dia. condensers that were pretty good also. Pretty versitle mics. I upgraded from these once again (for Drum OH micing), but still have one AT3035 for Vox and other duties. My favorite position now is using it on snare.

But there are so many options.
Oktava MC 012's seem to be very popular and get rave reviews.
They're about $100 each......

MXL and Studio Projects, and many others make matched pairs for low bucks also.

Good luck in the search.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:55 am

I love my NT5s.... drum overheads and acoustic guitar is what I mostly use them for. Also percussion (djembes, hand drums, etc).

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:19 am

I think the usual suspects are already listed.

Before everyone starts ragging on the Rode, the NT5 is, if anything, a tad dark. Very different from some of their LDCs, which are bright.

I've used the NT5 for location recording (with RNPs), and they have served me quite well.

I think you'll do just fine with any of the aformentioned models. Just remember to pair whatever you get with the preamp you like.

griff505
audio school graduate

Post by griff505 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:20 am

I've been looking round, and am pretty excited about the STO-2's. Right-price and excellent reviews. Now just the problem of locating some in the UK.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:41 am

griff505 wrote:I've been looking round, and am pretty excited about the STO-2's. Right-price and excellent reviews. Now just the problem of locating some in the UK.
Just email Brad.

brad@avensonsudio.com

He's VERY helpful and I'm certain he'll be more than happy to make sure you get a pair of mics.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Professor

Post by Professor » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:45 am

I've not used the STO omnis, but I've seen that their noise specs are pretty high. That is typical of a small-diaphragm omni, and certainly something Earthworks had to fight hard to counter, but it's still a consideration and something you never see mentioned in people's opinions on the STOs.
I would definitely encourage just about any offerings from Audio Technica, though especially their 4000-series (4041, 4051, etc.) or their 3000-series. I own and use several mics from both series and have always been happy with their performance.
And even though I've not used them, I would encourage on of those package deals on the Oktava MK-012 mics that include a pair of mics with the different capsules. That's about as cheap as you can go and still get multiple patterns which are always very nice to have.

-Jeremy

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:52 am

Professor wrote:I've not used the STO omnis, but I've seen that their noise specs are pretty high. That is typical of a small-diaphragm omni, and certainly something Earthworks had to fight hard to counter, but it's still a consideration and something you never see mentioned in people's opinions on the STOs.
That's because for most typical pop music applications, it's really not a big deal. True, they're noisier than some other mics, which is why I don't usually use them for live stereo recordings or as ambient mics in a church for classical music or something, but I could say the same for many mics of equal or greater value. It's really not a problem for me unless I really want to use them at some distance on a quiet source.

For whatever it's worth, my Oktava 12s are RIDICULOUSLY quiet. Moreso than my AT 40501s, which cost about five times what the Oktavas usually do.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Professor

Post by Professor » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:42 am

Oh yeah, that's not necessarily a reason to not get mics - I've certainly got a couple pairs of Earthworks that I love to use. But it is worth mentioning because it is a reason to use those mics sparingly. It means that while they are great for loud rock drums, it may mean they don't work for quieter brush work on drums or in front of acoustic guitars. I wouldn't pick a pair of noisy omnis as my first or only pair of SDCs, regardless of brand or price. Quiet omnis, maybe. Quiet cardioids, especially for a starter set at home, I'd be a little more comfortable.
But I don't think we've established what he already owns and what he hopes to record.

-Jeremy

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:55 am

On the other hand, since the Avensons are omnis, there's no proximity effect, so you can place them extremely close to quiet sources, and get a better signal to noise. I've had results I was very happy with from putting the avensons half a cm from an acoustic guitar - tricky to play in that position, though.

As far as the original question goes, I would recommend the Oktava 3-capsule set. The Sound Room (oktava.com, I think) has a good reputation, and slightly higher prices than Oktava USA (oktavausa.com?) - but I've talked to the guy at okt usa and he seemed like a fine chap, and his mics are somewhat less expensive than the Sound Room's. Also, you can buy large diameter capsules for the Oktavas from either place (there's 4 or 5 different models available here and there), and end up with a matched SD and LD pair for under, I don't know, 600 dollars?

b