Slightly oddball Pro Tools Q's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Slightly oddball Pro Tools Q's

Post by jayro_rockola » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:23 pm

I'm definitely not a newbie at the 'tools, but there are two errors,no make that three, that have been bugging me. Granted I'm running LE 6.7, so feel free to tell me I just need to upgrade if that is the case.

1. Every once in a while it wont let me write plugin automation data. The most recent example was near the end of a fairly intense mix that had existing FX auto. When I clicked the auto button on any plugin nothing showed up in the left hand collum where you choose paramaters. I even disabled lot's of shit to free up cpu and nada. So?

2. This has probably been discussed before, but I did'nt find this specific problem discussed in my search. After bouncing a song I get an error message "protools could not complete the bounce to disk" or somthing like that. (I'll write down the error number next time it happens). It's totally random it seems, and goes away if I change the boundaries of the bounce. I don't like to do this as I often have precice start/stop points for the bounce. Even weirder, when I convert during bounce using the same boundaries I get no message, but the file simply isn't made. No bounced file. Weird!

3. This was probably fixed in an update but... Anyone notice when you try and adjust the volume in the edit window of the bottom most track the fader jumps waaay down? Fucking annoying if you're adjusting things during tracking.

I know, I should just upgrade to 7.

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:39 pm

ANY Ideas guys? (and gals)

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:33 pm

you should probably check the DUC on the digi website. Stuff like this is covered there and there are a lot more people doing various versions of pro tools to answer the question effectively.

In fact I think some of your issues might be addressed in an update post from Digi tech support on the top category of the DUC...

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:48 am

that's interesting - the same thing happened this week where i work. we were upgrading from 6.9 to 7.1 so we booted from a second hard drive and installed 7.1 and updated all the plug-ins, etc. we weren't quite ready to offically "take the plunge" into 7 with clients around yet so we booted from the the original drive the next day and worked in 6.9 - except all of the automation had disappeared from our Waves plug-ins!

somehow the Waveshell had been corrupted (upgraded, whatever) even though it was installed on a completely different drive. so we just started working in 7 and never went back.

this probably doesn't help you, but it feels good to share.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:50 pm

for 2, adjusting the DAE buffer helped me a few weeks ago. I had it set to 8 or something. I found the answer in the knowledge base by typing in the exact error. I'm also on 6.7.

I dunno what's up with 1) and 3) drives me batty but doesn't just happen on the last track for me. lucky guy.

ajmogis
studio intern

Post by ajmogis » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:52 pm

I've had the automation parameters disappear from the "auto" dialog box as well. It only started happening after I had downloaded and installed demo versions of the Massey Tape-Head and compressor plugins.

The demo versions have an unlimited use period, but they have the automation disabled (among other things). In other words, you can't automate any of the parameters on these plugins unless you buy the full versions.

Imediately after installing these plugin demos, I noticed the empty "auto" boxes on just about all the plugins except for all the Digi plugins. I assumed that this happened as a result of an unexpected interaction with this guy's unique demo format.

The good news is that I can still actually enable automation for the parameters on my other plugins via the keyboard shortcut: hold down Apple-Opt-Ctrl and just click on the parameter in the plugin window. A window pops up that allows you to enable automation for that particular parameter.

It's annoying, but it works for me. I don't know if your situations are the same, but you could give it a try.

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:30 pm

You are so awesome! I have indeed downloaded the Massey plugs and come to think of it, the problem started just around then. I also didn't know the particular shortcut for enabling auto.

Thanks man,
This place rocks!

soundandform
studio intern

Post by soundandform » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:55 am

Howdy,

Someone emailed about this thread so I thought I should stop by.

The issue with #1 happens when running 7.x-enabled plug-ins in Pro Tools 6.4 through 6.9.

As the problem has been explained to me, I think there's a full workaround. I have yet to test this myself, so maybe someone here can verify whether it works or not.

1. Quit Pro Tools.
2. Go to your "Plug-Ins" folder. This is in /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins/ on Mac, or c:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins\ on Windows.
3. Rename all your newly download 7.x plug-ins: mine, perhaps EQ III, dynamics III, etc. so that they are alphabetically last in the list. For example, rename "Tape-Head Demo.dpm" to "zTape-Head Demo.dpm". On Windows you also need to rename the .rsr file to match. For example, also rename "Tape-Head Demo.dpm.rsr" to "zTape-Head Demo.dpm.rsr"
4. Relaunch Pro Tools.

Let me know if this works!
Thanks,
Steven Massey

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:31 pm

It worked!

Thanks

piotr_s
audio school

plugin automation parameters disappeared in PT

Post by piotr_s » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:53 am

Hi,

I am currently dealing with the problem of disappearing automation parameters from the Plugin Automation window. I posted questions about this on various forums (Digidesign included), but as of yet have no succesful solution. I got excited about Mr. Massey's post, as this was a new idea (and it came from a great source!), but sadly this did not solve my problem. I have renamed all the plugins that were the potential offenders, to no avail.

I am using ProTools LE 6.9, on a Mac OS 10.3.9

Supposedly all the plugins are compatibile with my system, the PT software is supposedly supporting all the plugins, but the automation parameters are gone from a LOT of my plugins...

Anybody had any success solving this problem?

I am not in a position to upgrade to PT 7.X, because in order to do that I would need to: change my OS, and upgrade all my plugins... that is the ones which in fact do have the upgraded versions available... which a lot of them don't... so I would rather have my current system working. As it is supposed to.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

p.

soundandform
studio intern

Post by soundandform » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:18 pm

Hi,

Make sure you have the latest CS update. I think this problem might have been patched in 6.9.

With 6.9 you sort of have the reverse scenario. All the pre-installed plugins are "offenders" and you want to make sure any old plugins are at the top of the filename list, alphabetically.

Last, you can always use the automation enable/disable shortcut which is probably quicker than the automation enable list anyway.

Steve

piotr_s
audio school

Post by piotr_s » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:24 pm

Hi Steve!

Thank you for your response.

I dont have the CS. Just plain vanilla 6.9

I will try reversing the order: re-naming the "suspects" beginning with "a" ... will post the results soon.

Meanwhile: the keyboard shortcuts work only with some plugins, and not others. Waves works OK with the keyboard shortcut... but not Elemental Audio or Pluggo for example... both of which are crippled by this bug.

p.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:01 pm

I've only seen this problem with crack plugins.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:02 pm

What does crack have to do with plug-ins?

piotr_s
audio school

Post by piotr_s » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:31 am

Nope.

I don't have any illegal plugins.

Which is one reason I am rather upset: all is paid for, and all is supposed to be supported...

p.