DIY Mic Stand Bases

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

DIY Mic Stand Bases

Post by Devlarz » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:22 am

I was about to purchase a costly large-base mic stand to use for drum overhead micing and then I realized that I could use any old mic stand but it's the base that's important, so I'll just build one!

I'm probably going to use a wide bucket or an oil pan as the form and pour cement into said form with pre-set posts and blocks for the stand and wheels (as this will probably be a heavy mickey fickey) respectively. I'll have some bolts or other objects that cross those which will house the stand and wheels for support.

If any of you have suggestions for this project I'll happily accept them. I'll do my best to document the whole process as well and post pictures if I can.

So long gents and gals,
Devlarz
Well, the difference is that you strut and I stroll.

Petras

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:13 pm

I have a few stands with the round base already on them...and we just put some old weights over the pole...you know from the the old high school bench set. Works well for my tall overhead.

darkhorseporter
ass engineer

Post by darkhorseporter » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:33 pm

bannerj wrote:I have a few stands with the round base already on them...and we just put some old weights over the pole...you know from the the old high school bench set. Works well for my tall overhead.
smart!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:32 pm

bannerj wrote:I have a few stands with the round base already on them...and we just put some old weights over the pole...you know from the the old high school bench set. Works well for my tall overhead.
We did the same thing many years ago for our singing drummer. Had to have his vocal mic coming down directly over his head to stay out of the way of his flailing. The stand was always precariously balanced until somebody had the bright idea to throw a couple of weights on it. We added 50lbs and never had a another mishap.

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Devlarz » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:59 am

That is a pretty good iea and cheaper still than constructing a base of my own. Now I just need to scour the streets during trash night to find someone who would be throwing out such a thing.

Petras

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:19 am

I would think you could find them at a second hand store. Where I used to live there was a place called Play it Again Sports...maybe even a thrift store or a garage sale. I have even used dumbells on either side of a tripod stand. Conceivably you could construct a heavy duty bag with sand or rocks in it too. I've clipped mics to bookshelves and the backs of chairs. I think I hung one from a light fixture once too. Save your money for a new microphone.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:13 pm

sand bags and clothes pins have fancy sounding names on film sets. like r347s or something. I dont think I've ever been on a video set (outside a studio) that didn't use sandbags for at least lighting stands. usually it's more like two sandbags with a hand/seem in the middle so the bags themselves can drape over either side of a tripod leg.

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Devlarz » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:48 pm

Dunhams Sports has olypmic plates of various weights for about $20, that will serve nicely and I have been saving for a new mic, in fact it should be in the mail pretty soon. My first valve mic!

Thank you for all the suggestions folks.

Petras

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:52 pm

syrupcore wrote:sand bags and clothes pins have fancy sounding names on film sets. like r347s or something.
Clothes pins are called c47's, but sand bags are just sand bags. ;)

Beyond that, I've got nothing constructive to add. Even with the extra weights, cheap stands just don't hold up over time. The threading gives out when more pressure is on them over time.

Not that I have any expensive stands. But It's something to keep in mind.

pumadrum
gettin' sounds

Post by pumadrum » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:34 pm

the stand in your original design would likely kill someone if it fell on them....

so thats a plus.
Curtis Franklin
Feel free to ignore me and use your ears.
curtisfranklin@earthsedgestudio.com

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Devlarz » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:24 pm

pumadrum wrote:the stand in your original design would likely kill someone if it fell on them....

so thats a plus.
I'd be hard pressed to have the base of a mic stand fall onto someone, "No really, everybody put's their mic stands on shelving units nowadays."

Petras