Good cheap small guitar amps for recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:05 am

KilledByAlbany wrote:http://www.handsomefamily.com/gregspage.html

This dude makes some pretty cool solid state (and now some tube too) designs for very little money. I am waiting until I see one that I absolutely love before ordering from him (I love "The Martian" in the museum page...I curse whoever bought it!), so I can't vouch for the sound quality. But if nothing else, they would make an awesome conversation piece...

WOW!! if those things sound one tenth as cool as they look then they are pretty damn cool!!!

Harry

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:05 am

S/S: No one ever believes me but some of the Peavy "transtube" amps sound pretty good, and for under US$100.00.

And don't forget the Trademark 10 with the onboard Sansamp.

Also, throw a tube pedal (I use a Chandler) in front of just about any amp and it will sound much better.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:20 am

As far as cheap solid state amps go, people have said good things about the vox pathfinder. Do a search on here for vox pathfinder, and you'll find tons of comments.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:21 pm

i have an old mesa studio .22 that is about my favorite amp ever...

fender champs are great...

i have some ancient danelectro amp that's maybe 10 watts and is practically made out of cardboard, but it sounds really nice. its all lovely midrange...

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:04 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i have an old mesa studio .22 that is about my favorite amp ever...

word! i used to have a studio .22 which i regretably had to part with. it did have some issues though, but when it worked it sounded great. class A, baby.

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:26 pm

Anybody know much about fender sidekicks? Were these ever made with tube circuitry, or did they come along too late in the game for that?
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:52 pm

another for the ampegs. i've got an old jet, very similar to the reverborocket if i remember correctly, no reverb. if you play a hot humbucker through it and crank it, it does that whole ac/dc rocknroll thing super good.

gotta check out the smokies as well. those things can be super fun...

Poppatwang
gettin' sounds

Post by Poppatwang » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:50 pm

Vox Cambridge 15 has been a good recording amp for me. 12AX7 in the preamp
w/solid state output section. Decent tremelo. Likes being miked with a 609.

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:30 pm

I have to throw in a vote for the Epiphone Valve Jr. heads. 5-6 watts, LOVES pedals, and can break up at a comfortable volume. Hook it up to a decent cab (has 4/8/16 outs) and it sounds phenominal. If you swap out the stock tubes you can make quite a bit of difference, too.

$99, brand new.

sirbergersworth
audio school graduate

Post by sirbergersworth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:57 pm

In the studio, I used to play through this prototype amp that was the original hand built design of Obed Kahn of Saint Louis Music (crate, etc.). The amp was a 5 watt tube combo with a 8" unknown speaker. I thin k the production model was "508". Great little amp. the productions didnt sound like my proto but still very good.
Obed is a great designer, its to bad that crate takes his high end designs and puts crap components in them for production.

Anyone know about the tube pignose? Is it anygood. I think it was a 40 watt tube combo with a 10" speaker. it was like $200. I was tempted many times but never bought one.
http://www.myspace.com/sirbergersworth

"In the long run, we only hit what we aim at."
-Henry David Thoreau

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:21 am

another vote for the Epiphone Valve Junior head, i put mine thru a sealed-back 2x12 and it makes all my guitars sound good!

i also like the clean sounds i get from my Ace Electronics Industries FR-20 (analog beatbox with built-in solid state amp) which goes especially well with Tele or electric 12-string.

then there's the little black plastic 1-watt Radio Shack/Realistic amps that seem to have been discontinued: great heavy overdrive (good for feedback at low levels!) when plugged into the mic input and very nice clean-but-agressive sound when into the aux input.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 am

guild thunderbass, its a whopping forty watts tho
me make purty musick!