Your first in-studio experience/history... what was it like?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:59 pm

Pants down on this one.

I was 16 and my dad gave me the money to come down from Oklahoma and record three songs at Planet Dallas Studios (Tripping Daisy, Nixons, several other notables eventually recorded there). Fueled by my vintage American-made Jackson Randy Rhoads custom w/Khaler, I whammied my way through six hours of shit. Cool studio built in an old house in some of the most prime real estate in Dallas.

I have since recorded a crapload of songs in many, many studios, and I am still amazed at the patience that Rick Rooney displayed. He helped me hire a drummer (with probably 14 toms, from what I remember) and some singer pulled from the pool (don't say I've never supported the session guy - I have). Then, he stomached the "hey, can you get me a record deal?" talk. I'm so embarrassed, but, he made money that day.

By far one of the best learning experiences I've ever had. And, still nothing like hearing your crap cranked over the mains in the main room. Holy shit, I will never forget that. Even stranger was the day I was on top of my friend Gray's condo drinking 15 years later.. and realized... I was staring at the PDS balcony.

MT
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...