Substitutes for ass-kicking microphones.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AudioJunky
takin' a dinner break

Substitutes for ass-kicking microphones.

Post by AudioJunky » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:44 pm

So I've been reading, "Behind The Glass," lately and taking notes on different mics people like to use. After that, I did some searches on some of the mics they talked about- mostly neumanns like U 47s, U 67s, U 87 etc. Some of the prices horrify me.

What are some good suggestions for a mic that is going to be a good sub for a Neumann U 47, 67, 87, etc. at an attainable price?

I want to get a mic that will be a great "all-around" mic- especially good on vocals.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:58 pm

Everyone should have an EV RE-20. Cheap and amazing.

I was blown away by M-Audio's "Solaris" mic - I use them considerably more than the 414's now. Although the 414's might be exactly what you're looking for in a great "all around" mic that won't break the bank.

Blue makes a few nice ones... Peluso, Apex... They're out there. Langevin... There's a bad-ass mic for a surprisingly low price...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:04 pm

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:Langevin... There's a bad-ass mic for a surprisingly low price...
No doubt. I have a CR-2001, and it's a fabulous mic. Less than $750.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:36 am

I wouldn't waste time trying to re-create the tools of yesteryear, there are a lot of great products on the market today. Don't be thinking "I need a U67", think in terms of "I need a mic that does X, Y, or Z".

This is especially true since there are a lot of companies marketing garbage and engaging in pure fraud to capitalize on the reputation of the "classics" (google Apex 460 and Telefunken M16 for details). I'd be careful of any mic that markets itself using names of or references to other products (sounds like your favorite old German tube mic at a fraction of the cost!). Most reputable manufacturers want their products to be recognized on their own merits, not for riding on someone else's 40-year old coattails.

What is "an attainable price" to you? $100? $500? $1000? $2000? AT makes some fine mics in the sub- $1000 category, as do Rode and some others. I'll second the RE-20 recommendation, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record recommend you check out the high-end dynamics- they're much more versatile than condensers in the same price range.

Mics are just tools, anyway- you don't need a closetfull of old tube mics to make a decent recording (not that it could hurt, though). To keep things in perspective, Larry's response in this thread is probably my favorite TO post ever-
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=12607
Steve Albini used to like it

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:57 am

On the amazingly good but cheap condensor front, I'd find a bunch of cheap Oktava 219 and 319 mics, and get them modded at http://oktavamod.com

Do it before Joel Hamilton's review of the 219 mod shows up in a future TapeOp.

AudioJunky
takin' a dinner break

Mic Budget

Post by AudioJunky » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:17 pm

I'm looking to spend around $1000. I just picked up an SM beta 58 today- needed it for a gig and I've heard good things about the studio use. In fact, I just compared it to my AT 3035 and I'm amazed at the difference in how little the 58 picks up of the room. (Time to buy some moving blankets for my room's walls.)

In my studio I mainly want to track the following - Vocals, saxophone, flute, clarinet, Rhodes suitcase 73, acoustic guitar, and various other things. The preamps that I have available are a couple of MOTU 828s, a Chandler Germanium, and soon to come one or two channels of great river. So any Mics that can be deemed worthy of these tasks would be helpful suggestions.

audiojunky

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:47 pm

for <$100 I don't see how you could pass up the MXL V67G. amazing for the price. I also have a Studio Projects C3. they go for $269 new, but I got one on eBay for $150--LDC, multi pattern. And we haven't even started in on the cheap Chinese ribbons available today (I bought the Nady RSM2). $1K could go a long way.

Mike

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:44 pm

I want to get a mic that will be a great "all-around" mic- especially good on vocals.
Audio Technica 4047sv. Thank me later.

Jeff

AudioJunky
takin' a dinner break

Wow.

Post by AudioJunky » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:40 am

Wow.. that confident in the AT 4047 huh? ;)

Jeff White

Re: Wow.

Post by Jeff White » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:25 am

AudioJunky wrote:Wow.. that confident in the AT 4047 huh? ;)
Yeah. I love it, even more than my 414B/ULS. And I'm not the only one. Do a search for it here at TOMB. I bough mine used in Jan 2003 for $305.

Try it on:

* acoustic guitar
* vocals.
* kick drum.
* Fender Twin amps (takes the edge off)
* etc

Jeff

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:12 am

I'd say to grab an Electro-Voice RE20, a Beyerdynamic M160, and an AKG C414/ULS. You'd spend about a thousand bucks if you buy used, and you'd have 3 microphones which can literally record anything you want to record.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Re: Substitutes for ass-kicking microphones.

Post by dokushoka » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:16 am

AudioJunky wrote:So I've been reading, "Behind The Glass," lately and taking notes on different mics people like to use. After that, I did some searches on some of the mics they talked about- mostly neumanns like U 47s, U 67s, U 87 etc. Some of the prices horrify me.

What are some good suggestions for a mic that is going to be a good sub for a Neumann U 47, 67, 87, etc. at an attainable price?

I'm not going to lie to you: You're not really going to find very many mics to rival a u47 or u67. Its hard to even find a good original thats in good shape that sounds like its supposed to sound!

Having said that, I would recommend the AT4050 as a 'good all around vocal mic.'