The Distressor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Albert
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albert » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:13 am

Interesting that some of you don't use the Brit mod. My Brit mod is almost permanently in the "on" position. It just creates such a great soft breaking up, it's hard to resist.

I also use the stereo image link mod, but not always. It does change the sound slightly, and sometimes I prefer to have them compressing independently, even on stereo source. There is also the Detector link switxh, which links them a little differently.

One heck of a great sounding compressor, and so incredibly versatile. It is hard for me to imagine anyone not liking them.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:44 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Gray, boxy, thin, Two-dimensional piece-o's!

Avoid them like the plague.

Get a Blackface 1176 and be done with it!
While the 1176 and Distressor kind of overlap, I find that the 1176 isn't capable of getting the precise attack/release times that make the Distressor such a WONDERFUL compressor for snare drums. A 3:1/4:1 ratio, medium fast attack (around 6.5 or so), a fairly quick release (around 3), hpf filter on and the dist 2 setting and you can pretty much get a snare sitting comfortably in a mix. I don't know about a "blackface" 1176 as I have used MANY older ones that didn't function properly (as they age the attack can slow dramatically and the release starts to "drag"). I actually *prefer* the reissue for most applications, particularly percussion. I find that the 1176 beats the Distressor in applications where you need some "character."

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:23 pm

the brit mod also eliminates (or dramatically changes) the 1:1 mode...

kdownes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kdownes » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:14 am

i have the one without the britmod. i find it is still endlessly versatile. really like the 10:1 "opto" setting on vocals and ac gtr. i want another one!

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:09 am

i own two. an exceptionally useful piece of equipment. I could live without the Brit Mod, but I have used it on occasion. It's great for taming wild transients, like orchestra bells or tambourine. Also adds quite a bit of bite, which I usually find distracting.

The stereo image link option is very useful.

mike