high's being sucked out of my room... help me confirm

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

billiamwalker
pushin' record

high's being sucked out of my room... help me confirm

Post by billiamwalker » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:58 am

i have simple acoustic treatment around my room. 2" 705 in all corners (floor to ceiling), 2" 703 above the drums. and some above the mixing area and in the wall to ceiling corner on the sides of the walls where the the drums are positioned. (i may need to load some pics to help the picture). i have concrete floors with a rug under the drums (to keep from moving). room is roughly 25x19x8 1/2. parallel walls (ew i know). when i play the drums in the room the cymbals seem to lack the crisp high's that i like (even though i can get them with the same kit in other rooms... i play live shows). do i need to put some diffusors in the room to sweep my high's around the room or do i need to fix my absorption. i could see the panels above the drums sucking some of the high's out..but they're about 4-6 inch's from the ceiling. i would think it would do fine.

i have a feeling it's just the parallel walls not allowing the sound to "breathe" in the room like it should, giving me a wierd peak somewhere in the mids. (i've never tested my room and don't have the equipment.)

oh yeah... anyone in the dallas that does this for fun that wants to come check the place out and help me... be my guest. i'd like to fix my problem areas.

sorry this is a sloppy post.. i'm at work and wanted to just throw this up so i can check it later and hopefully get some ideas.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:26 am

We'll take you on your word that the drums are OK (setup, tuning, etc.)

You're probably overthinking the problem. The obvious first question is, "does your drums sound OK acoustically in the room"?

If so, then you can rule out acoustics. How are you miking the drums? (Mic location, mics, signal chain, recorder, in order of importance) I would think that mic phase cancellation is more likely than room modes (for mids and higher).

If the drums sound dead in the space, I'd take out the 703 over your drums first. Mix and match until you like it. It shouldn't be that more involved than that. Also experiment with where you put the kit.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:17 am

it's the drum in the room themselves. they sound good other rooms.. but not in mine. mainly the cymbals. they're bright cymbals at that. the drums sound alot better than before after i put the703 above the drums. it was getting rid of the phase problems i was having during recording. i've moved them and have gotten the same result. the room as a whole is missing it's hi-end. this also affects the attack that my drums produce.

and while miked,the drums sound jsut like they do in the room. they sound full but they're missing the brightness of the cymbals.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:58 am

This current thread should help too: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=37198

bpape
gettin' sounds

Post by bpape » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:06 pm

It may help to put an FSK facing on the cloud above you - especially since you have a carpet below the drums which you normally don't to. The facing will still help tighten up the drums but reflect about half of the highs.

Bryan
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley

Room Design and Acoustical Analysis
www.gikacoustics.com

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:03 am

bpape wrote:It may help to put an FSK facing on the cloud above you - especially since you have a carpet below the drums which you normally don't to. The facing will still help tighten up the drums but reflect about half of the highs.

Bryan
fsk?

bpape
gettin' sounds

Post by bpape » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:20 am

Sorry. FSK is a reinforced foil and kraft paper scrim that is bonded to the exposed side of the fiberglass with spray adhesive. It not only helps to reduce the upper mid/high frequency absorbtion but also acts somewhat like a membrane to slightly increase the absorbtion down low.

Bryan

www.gikacoustics.com

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:24 am

I'm willing to bet that what you need is difusors.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

Rod Gervais
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Rod Gervais » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:35 am

bpape wrote:Sorry. FSK is a reinforced foil and kraft paper scrim that is bonded to the exposed side of the fiberglass with spray adhesive. It not only helps to reduce the upper mid/high frequency absorbtion but also acts somewhat like a membrane to slightly increase the absorbtion down low.

Bryan
Bryan is (as usual) right on the money here.

If your problem is too little high frequency - a scrim facing (reflective) will help to bring that back to life - without giving up what you've gained in low and mid frequencies.

Rod

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:12 am

so i'd have to take off the burlap and put this stuff on the fiberglass and then wrap the burlap back on it?

is there a link where i can see this stuff?

is there anyway i can put it on top of the burlap to save me time?

bpape
gettin' sounds

Post by bpape » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:00 am

If you put the scrim on top of the burlap, the results will be unpredictable in terms of what it will do in the lower mids/upper bass.

Sorry, but bonding it directly to the fiberglass is the way to go - even though it's more work.

Bryan

www.gikacoustics.com

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:49 am

bpape wrote:If you put the scrim on top of the burlap, the results will be unpredictable in terms of what it will do in the lower mids/upper bass.

Sorry, but bonding it directly to the fiberglass is the way to go - even though it's more work.

Bryan
is there a website where i can look at this stuff and order it?

bpape
gettin' sounds

Post by bpape » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:49 am

You have PM

www.gikacoustics.com