DIY Mic pre kits?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

DIY Mic pre kits?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:01 pm

Ok,
I am seriously considering investing some money into a DIY micpre kit (Seventh Circle ect.). I really have not done any work that advanced in terms of electronics wiring (guitars, and very basic amp repair), but the value seems substantial and it is def. a good skill to put my head into.

So I would like to hear peoples experiences with these kits as a beginner, and if it is something that would be reasonable/realistic to approach.

Anyone have companies that they would recommend?

I can read a schematic and do have some soldering skills, so I believe that would cover the basic prerequisite.

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:16 pm

Another thing, has anyone ever used one of those cold solder guns (there used to be commercials for them on TV and I believe you can get them at radioshack). You know, the one where you can actually touch the tip between uses.

I don't know how useful those would be to any sort of work besides fixing the broken tail on that dog statuette that your grandma gave you.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:47 pm

Zorgot.Crob wrote:Another thing, has anyone ever used one of those cold solder guns (there used to be commercials for them on TV and I believe you can get them at radioshack). You know, the one where you can actually touch the tip between uses.
Ive used one and I wouldnt even consider trying to use it on a preamp kit. Get a good soldering iron and you will be much farther ahead.

thesimulacre
takin' a dinner break

Post by thesimulacre » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:26 pm

I second that opinion on the "cold heat" soldering toy. Plus, it runs on batteries, which is just ludicrous for such a tool. I need answers to the same questions about DIY kits, so I cannot answer this sort of thing.

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:11 am

I've been reading over a few manuals the past couple of days, it really doesn?t seem that bad. Very reasonable. I'll prob end up doing a couple of fuzz/treble booster boxes first to get my soldering skills into shape.

http://buildyourownclone.com/tri.html

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:20 am

may I suggest you check out Jens' kits over at www.eisenaudio.com

we built 2 (and are building 2 more) and they are the best sounding pres we own...

although It does mean you need an API rack... but the preamps are amazing. Ours are loaded with Lundahl and Cinemag transformers and a John Hardy 990C.... they friggin rule.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:49 pm

toaster3000 wrote:may I suggest you check out Jens' kits over at www.eisenaudio.com

we built 2 (and are building 2 more) and they are the best sounding pres we own...

although It does mean you need an API rack... but the preamps are amazing. Ours are loaded with Lundahl and Cinemag transformers and a John Hardy 990C.... they friggin rule.

john
How much did all of the supplies for these cost you?

BR Audio
audio school

Post by BR Audio » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:39 am

Another vote for not using the Cold heat gun.
Its great for on the spot soldering jobs, like fixing an NL4 in the middle of a gig. But for building projects like this, go for something better with a fine tip.
I use the Hakko 936 station and it rocks.

btw.. sent you a PM

take care
Gil

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:53 pm

toaster3000 wrote:may I suggest you check out Jens' kits over at www.eisenaudio.com

john
what other pre-amps do you own that you say they are the best thing you own.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:01 am

Image'

I built me a pair of jlm baby animals, great fun and easy, was my first build too. Sounds awesome.

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:08 pm

Did you do any comparison with and without output transformers ?
I have a pair BA's and was thinking about adding some OP trans

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:44 pm

nope, I needed the extra gain, perhaps some color and noise protection from my computer setup.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:49 pm

The baby animals sound great, and you can always play around with different transformers or opamps.

They're a great value, too.