grounding a tube amp?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nclayton
steve albini likes it

Post by nclayton » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:18 am

PS...I love those shitty super old solid state amps! I had a Jordan bass amp that was assembled just like yours. Best sounding bass amp EVER, but pitifully quiet.

Looks like you have to run 1/2 of the power cord pretty much all the way up to the input to get to the on/off switch anyway, so I'd just solder the green wire to that uninsulated ground bus wire I see running between the input jacks. Twist the black and green wires together, bring them both to the switch, solder the black wire to the switch and the green wire to the ground bus.

Also, I think it looks like your amp DOES have a "death cap", that diagonally mounted white cap on the right hand side of the board. If you put in a grounded cord you can take that cap out if you want to.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:15 am

nclayton wrote:PS...I love those shitty super old solid state amps! I had a Jordan bass amp that was assembled just like yours. Best sounding bass amp EVER, but pitifully quiet.

Looks like you have to run 1/2 of the power cord pretty much all the way up to the input to get to the on/off switch anyway, so I'd just solder the green wire to that uninsulated ground bus wire I see running between the input jacks. Twist the black and green wires together, bring them both to the switch, solder the black wire to the switch and the green wire to the ground bus.

Also, I think it looks like your amp DOES have a "death cap", that diagonally mounted white cap on the right hand side of the board. If you put in a grounded cord you can take that cap out if you want to.

Hey, thanks for all the advice! Yeah, this amp cost me like $75 at a local pawn shop and I really dig it, especially for a solid state amp. The main reason I bought it, though, was because the spring reverb and tremolo on it are awesome. Surprisingly, it's actually pretty damn loud. I'll have to see if I can get up the courage to put a three-prong in there. Actually, I need to post another thread asking about some reverb cut out issues, which I'll do next.

Thanks again.

-Bret