opinions on how to record a rhodes piano?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

contramark
gimme a little kick & snare

opinions on how to record a rhodes piano?

Post by contramark » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:56 pm

ive had some expirience micing a rhodes but wanted to see what other people thought. i personally like a rhodes DI into a warm neve style pre, however the player I recorded last week insisted he wanted the rhodes miced because he thought the speakers gave a natural compression. however this preovided much more noise and less body to the sound. Any suggestions?

timbertrout

Post by timbertrout » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:30 pm

Like bass, rhodes can be nice as a combo of mic'd up amp and DI. I often DI while I track, then re-amp later through my fender Blues Jr. or even my POD.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:47 pm

my rhodes has two outputs perfect for taking a DI and amping at the same time..mix and match..

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:40 pm

I just joined a band a few months ago, and we have a rhodes player.
We scrapped the old version of their record and started from scratch, and
we messed with how to record the rhodes for a while, different combos of DI
and amps. Vox AC 30, Fender Pro Junior, Fender hot rod deluxe.
Then one day we plugged it into a Marshall half stack (old style super lead 100), and everyone freaked out.
Haven't recorded it any other way since that day, and now the marshall rig's
official job is to be the amp for the rhodes, live shows included.

For us, it is just "the sound". It just sits in the mix with
so little effort now.

EarlSlick
takin' a dinner break

Post by EarlSlick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:52 pm

When ever I record Rhodes or Wurlitzer, I like to go through and AB pedal, and mess around with different amp combinations, as well. Sometimes I mess around with effects on one channel and leave the other dry, and put a a mic on each cab as well as a room mic.

Bart

msmith4060

Post by msmith4060 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:04 pm

Its funny how you can play 10 different rhodes of the same model and have a different sound each time...They are such individual instruments....My advice would be to run a di feed, and really mess around with it in your spare time.....They all sound different....Especially in the extremes......Its all about smooth highs and focused lows, but......all Rhodes are not created equal....My particular rhodes sounds best through a 57(really) and a twin into an api pre and eq, with a little bit of comp....But thats just mine....And although it is the biggest bag of worms ever, if you know how to adjust it well, usually you can get most of what you want by moving pickups and adjusting tine/tonebar tension.
The other big red button, stupid...

contramark

Post by contramark » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:11 pm

thanks for the tips. i think the DI and miced amp combination is a no brainer and not sure why i havent tried it yet. Luckily my UA solo 610 has a DI/thru so i can rig something up. The amp is a fender bassman and ill probably amp it with either sm57 or m160 going into chandler germanium with thick switch. should get me most of the way there.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:14 pm

I usually wind up with a DI for the rhodes.
I almost never take a DI for the wurli.

The rhodes can change color really easily with a lowpass filter kickin around, so the DI seems to always work for me unless it is the "rhodes-that-almost-sounds-like-a-wurly" distorted sound that can really be cool coming through the right amp.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:41 pm

I used to run my Rhodes through a Leslie 760. Wow did that sound sweet. Good sounding amp and the best chorale effect ever invented, and in 3D stereo.

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:12 pm

Does your rhodes not have the built in amp and speaker thing? If you do have it, micing each speaker will give you the ping pong tremelo effect. But actually you should get the same effect using 2 DIs as well. Personally, Im not a fan of taking both the DI and mic signal. Its one or the other for me.

griff505
audio school graduate

Post by griff505 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:24 am

anyone played one through one of the $99 Epiphone valve amps? I was thinking of picking one up for my wife's Rhodes. Any thoughts are welcome.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:08 am

Interesting accessory for Rhodes pianos:

http://www.majorkey.com/cgi-bin/home.html

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:23 am

i typically run the rhodes through a silverface twin and mic it with an ldc that suits the song. if you can find a 70's kustom 150 (tuck'n'roll), i bet that you'll be very pleased with the tonal possibilities. this amp also has a really lush reverb and an uber slow tremelo/vibrato. i miss mine terribley.

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:22 am

I've got the Epi' Valve Junior and love it for reamped vox and guitars. Haven't tried it on the Rhodes yet, but I can only imagine it would rock in the right situations. Excellent use of a hundred bucks.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Man, I almost hate to admit this, but lately I've recorded my Rhodes through a DI and SCA 1272 pramp, then using the UAD Nigel amp sim plugin. The DI'd track can sound pretty fine on it's own if we're going for a clean sound, and the Nigel can dirty it up a bit without having to mic an amp. I'm lazy, sue me...

I have recorded the rhodes through a really nice Fender Super Reverb, and it sounded terrific. Unfortunately, the amp wasn't mine, and I had to give it back. I too have thought seriously about one of those little amps just for Rhodes.