Yo, hold my metronome.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:13 pm

I have never given a recital to a click track. have you?
Actually, I've played entire sets with the following instrumentation: acoustic guitar, electric bass and metronome.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:55 pm

dwlb wrote:
I have never given a recital to a click track. have you?
Actually, I've played entire sets with the following instrumentation: acoustic guitar, electric bass and metronome.
Was that a lead metronome or a rhtythm metronome?

jhg
audio school graduate

Post by jhg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:39 pm

drumsound wrote: Often when a musician gets really pissed off because of a click it's usually because they have not spent the time practicing alone with one. They do not understand how to work with it to help them mature and become a better player .
YES! It's an odd situation, by no means the case in all situations: Players used to using a click have practiced using a metronome, aren't as likely need the click. I spent years practicing with a metronome, not all my clients did - it doesn't seem to take long to see if the group likes a click. Even when just the drummer gets the click, and plays to it steadily, it can throw off the rest of the band who are used to playing to a tempo not as locked.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:11 pm

joeysimms wrote:
toaster3000 wrote: The fact that a metronome or a click is a reference to 'perfect' time seems to intimidate them...
Doesn't intimidate me, it makes me mad. Because it's only use these days _IN ROCK/ROLL MUSIC_is to edit takes together. You could argue that having practiced more to a metronome would alleviate this stupid trend but no, seems every rock _SIGNED_MAJOR_LABEL_ band uses them anyway. AND, the music still sucks, because the editing and the fixing to perfection is everything rock music was never supposed to be in the first place. Plus, it's fucking boring to listen to.
You're comparing apples and oranges here Joey. A click in an of itself does not mean that a record will be edited to death. A click also doesn't mean that a record will sound like every other record.

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Post by riantide » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:32 am

Every musician should practice to a metronome. I'm seriously so sick of drummers that can't play to a click because they just never practice to one. I'm sick of guitarists, keyboardists, bassists, flautists and all other ists who can't play to a click as well for that matter. Meter is an essential part of musicianship and I often wish it was taken more seriously.

And the click is a handy tool. I like it. It makes my job easier most of the time and insures that I won't encounter as many limits later on down the line. Now, if I was recording a bluegrass band or if The Faces came in to record in my crappy little basement I probably wouldn't even think of using a click. It always depends. I just think that the click wouldn't even be as big a deal if more musicians were more comfortable playing with it.

Good musicians can give emotive takes to a metronome. And if a click isn't necessary or you don't like it (for whatever reason) then, just like anything else, don't use it.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:52 am

drumsound wrote:
joeysimms wrote:
toaster3000 wrote: The fact that a metronome or a click is a reference to 'perfect' time seems to intimidate them...
Doesn't intimidate me, it makes me mad. Because it's only use these days _IN ROCK/ROLL MUSIC_is to edit takes together. You could argue that having practiced more to a metronome would alleviate this stupid trend but no, seems every rock _SIGNED_MAJOR_LABEL_ band uses them anyway. AND, the music still sucks, because the editing and the fixing to perfection is everything rock music was never supposed to be in the first place. Plus, it's fucking boring to listen to.
You're comparing apples and oranges here Joey. A click in an of itself does not mean that a record will be edited to death. A click also doesn't mean that a record will sound like every other record.
Yeah I think it was Slider said that it can be for using with loops. And you could also say MIDI. One band that springs to mind here - or at least my very untrendy mind - is (soap-dodger alert) Back to the Planet from the early-mid '90s. Their LP was great, I thought - and involved the (super-tight) drummer playing to synth lines and squelchy keyboard phrases that were obviously, utterly programmed. To do *that* you've got to be able to play metronomically. Their songs were really good, ace female vocals, and - yeah, imo - definitely given an interesting, fresh twist with the MIDI synth lines etc.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

ryan.c.ya
audio school

But but...

Post by ryan.c.ya » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:26 pm

No matter what you think of a metronome, whether you are hearing it or not, that time is always there. It never goes away.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:01 pm

drumsound wrote:Why does the click create so much polarization? It's like the abortion issue of the music world. Why can't each situation be judged only based on it and not every other preconception?

I have a bunch of ways to use a click. I also do a lot of things without one.
Yep! I wonder if Steve Gadd ever debates the pros and cons of using a click? Doubt it. If they dial it up, he buries it. If they don't, he'll groove the shit out of it just the same.

That's how I wanna be!!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:08 am

dwlb wrote:
toaster3000 wrote:not all music is indie rock
you must be new here.
LOL almost snarfed my keyboard!!
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:46 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:
dwlb wrote:
you must be new here.
It's extremely funny, esp. since most indie rock can't groove/swing to save it's life.. the kids just love the angular clunkiness and fractured plodding.
beware bee wear

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:06 am

i dont know how i feel about the comparison to EQ. i'd say its much more of an artistic, compositional decision than an engineer's tool. if a song needs a metronomic feel, maybe you should play to a click.

if you're going for a NEU! feel, god knows i wouldn't want to miss a beat or slow down at all. the feel is meant to be rigid. if i were to work on the new US Maple record, I'd probably forgo the click....

sorry, i know all music is not indie rock :( substitute silver apples versus the fugs, if you like, or abba and the band.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:12 pm

joeysimms wrote:
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:
dwlb wrote:
you must be new here.
It's extremely funny, esp. since most indie rock can't groove/swing to save it's life.. the kids just love the angular clunkiness and fractured plodding.
yeah and jazz forgot how to have any fun :lol: