crappy kick sound... beta 52's fault?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:32 am

PeterAuslan wrote:I was just having this conversation with some engineers about the '52. One engineer had spoken with a Shure rep who said that the best placement was just inside the hole but pointed directly at the beater. It was not meant to be placed close to the beater.
yeah mics totally work best in a single specific placement..every good engineer knows that..

:roll:

frugalpole
studio intern

Post by frugalpole » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:25 am

farview wrote:It really depends on the sound you are trying to get out of the kick. You have to want that scooped sound other wise it isn't the right mic.

For example, I do a lot of aggressive rock and metal. A 421 (by itself) just won't cut it. It ends up sounding too thin without a lot of work or another mic or two to capture the boom.

However, for more laid back kind of stuff, a 421 works great.
fairview, could you point me towards a recording that has a scooped sound?

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:11 am

Hey toolshed, no need to get snippy. Its a good starting place. Maybe Shure's designers had something in mind that you don't know about.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:53 am

The link I have posted has a kick miced with a 421, D-112, and a beta 52. It is the same kick hit each time just through a different mic.

The first one is a 421 about 2 inches from the batter head pointing at the beater.

The second one is a D-112 about 2 inches from the batter head half way between the center and the rim.

The third hit is a Beta 52 just inside the vent hole in the reso head.

http://www.farviewrecording.com/audio/kicktest.wav

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:00 am

Toolshed of Death wrote:
PeterAuslan wrote:I was just having this conversation with some engineers about the '52. One engineer had spoken with a Shure rep who said that the best placement was just inside the hole but pointed directly at the beater. It was not meant to be placed close to the beater.
yeah mics totally work best in a single specific placement..every good engineer knows that..

:roll:
Do you really think that mic designers have no concept of use or placement when they design a mic? Of course you can experiment with placement and use, the D-112 was originally designed to record stand-up bass, it's a good thing someone thought to put it in a kick drum. It still doesn't change the designed purpose.

frugalpole
studio intern

Post by frugalpole » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:51 pm

i'm starting to get there. and i'm starting to realize a big issue was source/engineeer. not the mic.

sample

i'm headed more toward what i want

my chain here was beta 52 --> metric halo uln-2 pre --> through fmr rnla --> into uln-2's conversion --> ableton live. i used some eq/comp as prescribed by: amishsixstringer. i varied a little from his recipe for my tastes, but the eq/comp talk put me in the general vicinity for some goodness.

bounced w/ warp disengaged for fidelity purpose.

notes
uncertain if it is audible, but i think i have too much muffling going on. i'm going to swap out the small balnket i have in there tomorrow for a smaller one.

Nineteen Billion
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Nineteen Billion » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:05 am

The new sound is certainly more on track with what I tend to get from my Beta52. I've used it on metal, rock, and folk albums and have tried every position. Let me suggest some moves for the sound that you're moving towards.

-Take all muffling out of the kick. Damping sounds good to the player, sounds good live, sounds dead on disc. I ususally clear out all the bottom end in my folky mixes to leave space for a huge, long kick sound. Just try it.
-Remove the front head and place the Beta 52 a couple inches away from the inside of the shell (where a great deal of serious low end resides) at an angle of about 20-30 degrees, pointing towards the outside edge of beater head or somewhere along the length of the shell itself. Um, to be more clear (hopefully), the direction of the mic and the shell should converge in a "V" shape near the beater head's rim. Move around to taste.
-When EQing, create a boost of small bandwidth down below 100 Hz, move around until you find the lowest frequency of the kick that you want to accentuate, probably the fundamental of its tuning. Boost that frequency to taste and then boost an octave up as well. You might boost 40 Hz and 80 Hz, for example. You could also boost a fifth above for color (40 Hz and 66.7 Hz), but you risk muddying things up. This obviously works best with a good parametric EQ.
-Blame the mic last. It can do no more than the resources it has at hand. If you don't give the mike the frequencies it needs, it's not going to compensate by creating them out of thin air. Get it? Lacking bass frequencies? Thin air? I'll be re-using that one.

I would post an example of the sounds I get, but I don't have any webspace up right now. If you're interested, I could e-mail a sample.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:34 am

Nineteen Billion wrote:The new sound is certainly more on track with what I tend to get from my Beta52. I've used it on metal, rock, and folk albums and have tried every position. Let me suggest some moves for the sound that you're moving towards.

-Take all muffling out of the kick. Damping sounds good to the player, sounds good live, sounds dead on disc. I ususally clear out all the bottom end in my folky mixes to leave space for a huge, long kick sound. Just try it.
-Remove the front head and place the Beta 52 a couple inches away from the inside of the shell (where a great deal of serious low end resides) at an angle of about 20-30 degrees, pointing towards the outside edge of beater head or somewhere along the length of the shell itself. Um, to be more clear (hopefully), the direction of the mic and the shell should converge in a "V" shape near the beater head's rim. Move around to taste.
-When EQing, create a boost of small bandwidth down below 100 Hz, move around until you find the lowest frequency of the kick that you want to accentuate, probably the fundamental of its tuning. Boost that frequency to taste and then boost an octave up as well. You might boost 40 Hz and 80 Hz, for example. You could also boost a fifth above for color (40 Hz and 66.7 Hz), but you risk muddying things up. This obviously works best with a good parametric EQ.
-Blame the mic last. It can do no more than the resources it has at hand. If you don't give the mike the frequencies it needs, it's not going to compensate by creating them out of thin air. Get it? Lacking bass frequencies? Thin air? I'll be re-using that one.

I would post an example of the sounds I get, but I don't have any webspace up right now. If you're interested, I could e-mail a sample.
great info!

I used a beta 52 on the folk punk stuff i'm currently mixing. I'm having a shit time with the kick, but its more my fault in not tuning the kick better. Removing the front head would have been ideal as well. I had the 52 just inside the hole facing beater. Still didn't get enough attack, felt beater.

The eq i have set up is like a 3db boost at 80 with a medium to wide Q, then 300 cut like 6 db with a medum Q, then 3k boosted like 5 db with a narrow Q. still not getting what i wanted, so then slapped on the pultec plug in behind that, boosted a little 60 but attenuating at the same time (tightens things up)

alot of crap to go through, if i had paid more attention to the actual sound the kick was making and fixed that first.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:32 pm

PeterAuslan wrote:Hey toolshed, no need to get snippy. Its a good starting place. Maybe Shure's designers had something in mind that you don't know about.
I'm getting snippy about that shure rep..because he/she is a tool..and don't know what they are talking about..

best placement doesn't exist period..

Though I definitely agree with the idea that things can be designed for specific purposes..but you said the rep said "best placement" which is bologna in the real world..it's like saying green is the best colour..

I do agree that it's probably the most logical starting place..

so in a sense the rep is trying to help I guess..I dunno..

Nineteen Billion
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Nineteen Billion » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:25 pm

Toolshed, I could not agree more. That said, for a new recordist without any idea or intuition as to what ambient sound will obtain the desired recorded sound, rules of thumb are valuable training wheels. Where would I be without the couple years of "On steel string guitars, always start your mike placement at about where the neck meets the body."? Tips like these should just always come with the "training wheels" disclaimer. That way, people will discard them as quickly as they can.

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:52 pm

Since I am only relaying a conversation between two other people I cannot be sure of the exact words spoken. Toolshed is right there is no one right place for a mic to go and I think that most people were able to realize that my intention was to give the original poster a good "rule of thumb".

We are all here to help.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:08 pm

naaa, i'm here for the free pens and mom jokes.

frugalpole
studio intern

Post by frugalpole » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:07 pm

Nineteen Billion wrote: I would post an example of the sounds I get, but I don't have any webspace up right now. If you're interested, I could e-mail a sample.
please do.

frugalpole _at_ gmail _dot_ com

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Point it away from the beater, maybe?

Post by punkrockdude » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:31 am

I have my Beta 52 half way inside my kick drum and I got some bad results that I hated. Yesterday I thought that I just for the hell of it would angle the mic pretty much downwards, about 45 degrees, away from the beater point and that gave me the sound I wanted. It made a huge difference. Regards

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:03 pm

trodden wrote:naaa, i'm here for the free pens and mom jokes.
Wanna swap those pens for this mackie onyx?
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)