Just bought a new Ibook

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Just bought a new Ibook

Post by Monkeyfist » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:52 pm

I don;t really know much about Macs, but I wanted one for a long time because of thier reputaion. Any good recording software recommended that is relatively easy to use?
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:09 am

Garageband

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:44 am

I'd have started with Garage Band also if I didn't take such a massive leap into Logic Pro. Fortunately, Apple has a lot of great resources on their site and in the discussion forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/

Apple's 'accepted' learning curve is Garage Band --> Logic Express --> Logic Pro unless of course you want to start with something like Pro Tools or Digital Performer. I also recommend Cubase as a good starting point. I started with it and moved into Logic. There are still some things about Logic that make my head spin, but again fortunately there are tons of resources. Another great forum is the big blue lounge (formerly OS X Audio forums):

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/index.php

Enjoy! and Congratulations....
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Post by PublicMelody » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:35 am

Logic Express - academic license: $150 -- just tell them you know someone who is a student and they'll sell it to you :lol: You can only record a maximum of 12 tracks at at time.

Tracktion 2 - I've been farting around with the demo. This one is really resource friendly. I think when Tracktion 3 comes out, I'll seriously consider going with it.

My main problem with Logic Express is that the editor is weak compared to Pro -- no scrubbing and no pencil editing waveforms. However, I've just learned that you can configure Logic to launch an external editor when doubling clicking an audio track. I'm considering getting Peak LE ($99) to use as my editor in this case -- it has scrubbing and waveform editing along with a bunch of other useful things that would cost a bundle if you went the Logic Pro route.

- Jim

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:33 pm

It came with garage band and I have been playing with it a bit. For about 6 hours last night actually. It's pretty easy to use, I don't feel like I have as much control over the program as I would like. But Then again I have never really used it before. I'll just see what happens. Thanks for the help and the congrats. I have become really hooked on this computer as of late.

Cheers,
Rick
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:35 pm

they are lovely machines. I think Tracktion is hard to beat for the cost of entry to performance ratio. plus, it's easy to use and very pretty.