Ribbon Cable

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Ribbon Cable

Post by Leopold » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:38 pm

Anyone know where I can find this type of ribbon cable it's for the master buss of a TAC Scorpion.It has 4 insertion points on the connector. Image

Thanks,
Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:19 pm

I'd like to replace mine aswell in my scorpion and will be scouring Digi-key in hopes of a match. If anyone finds them please inform us.

In the meantime you could snag one from the headphone jack or one of the buss faders since the master faders are pretty vital. They all use the same 4 pin molex.

Todd
www.toddjal.com

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:08 am

toddjal wrote:I'd like to replace mine aswell in my scorpion and will be scouring Digi-key in hopes of a match. If anyone finds them please inform us.

In the meantime you could snag one from the headphone jack or one of the buss faders since the master faders are pretty vital. They all use the same 4 pin molex.

Todd
www.toddjal.com
Thanks Todd, so to get to it, I have to lift the fader panel right.

Eddie

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:38 am

no. the faders are all soldered directly. the headphone one is the grey wire in the bottom right corner of your pic. Mine has the same type of molex so I'd be surprised if yours was different. If you prefer to snag it from one of the buss channels instead then just pull out the selected channel and remove the similar 4 pin than goes down to the fader.

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:00 pm

Ok, I've done some digging and I think that we're looking at pg 128 of the digikey catalog, figures 1A for female and 12B for male, 4pin for the faders and 10pin for the input and output. www.digikey.com Mine have a green stripe on the back which could mean they're the 28AWG but I don't know. Also don't know what closed end or feed through are. If I had to guess I'd say it's digikey part number A31047-ND for $0.25canadian, but I'd advise snapping a close-up and talking to someone at digikey. There's also a connector at the back that you can put your own gold crimp style ones in. Wish I could afford to replace my entire console with those and a tiny dop of solder. Please PM or email me if you find out a specific part #.

Todd
www.toddjal.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:32 pm

Does anyone know where the headphone cable connects to the circuit board? My Tac had some questionsable mods done by the last owner. I'm trying to undo them. The headphone cable is disconnected and I'd love to put it back in the right place.

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:38 pm

It's a 4pin molex about an inch and a half away from the left/right fader plugs on the S4000 master channel.

What are these flacky mods? Any idea?

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:22 am

oh I know....it's the good ol "remove the headphone jack" MOD. I think it's supposed to improve clarity and dynamic range. It also keeps your coffee hotter for longer.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:24 am

toddjal wrote:Ok, I've done some digging and I think that we're looking at pg 128 of the digikey catalog, figures 1A for female and 12B for male, 4pin for the faders and 10pin for the input and output. www.digikey.com Mine have a green stripe on the back which could mean they're the 28AWG but I don't know. Also don't know what closed end or feed through are. If I had to guess I'd say it's digikey part number A31047-ND for $0.25canadian, but I'd advise snapping a close-up and talking to someone at digikey. There's also a connector at the back that you can put your own gold crimp style ones in. Wish I could afford to replace my entire console with those and a tiny dop of solder. Please PM or email me if you find out a specific part #.

Todd
www.toddjal.com
I haven't opened up the board yet ot get to the other end of the connector tha tlooks like it's going to the master faders, is it bare wire at that end or anoter molex?

I have the original connector that came off the end so I'm hoping I can just reconnet it to the ribbon calbe but I can't figure out how to dismantle it????

Eddie

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:48 am

It does go to the master faders and it's soldered on the other end. One of them is left and one is right so you better figure that out, or wait to do it by trial and error. The molex connectors use little teeth to bite through the wire and make contact without soldering. You can simply cut any old messy ends and re-punch them onto the connector. Follow the other fader as a guide. If you're enthusiastic you could solder them on.

I talked to colin at www.audiomaintenance.com and he does have the connectors if you still need any. He's a great help and has just about everything for these old TACs. I recently bought a fun re-cap kit from him and some new pots (that aren't made anymore) I'd been looking to replace for years.

Todd

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:45 pm

toddjal wrote:
What are these flacky mods? Any idea?
The dim switch was changed to a mono switch and something wierd was done with the aux outs. A swich was added to toggle between monitor/mains out and aux outs. When the switch is in one position the mains and monitor outs work but the aux outs are cut. When the swich is in the other position the aux outs work but the mains and monitors are cut.
The headphones also seem to have been conected off of the monitor volume pot.

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:25 am

Someone had it set up "just the way they like it". That mono switch is useful though. Who really uses dim anyway?