what's that cassete noise reduction trick again?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

what's that cassete noise reduction trick again?

Post by creature.of.habit » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:42 am

hi everyone.

i remember reading something about, recording with the noise reduction on, and playing back with it off...is this remotely it (the big "trick")?

sounds logical...i'm not bothering with the NR in my 244, but i want to try to mixdown/whack some final mixdowns to my teac A640 deck that has dolby in it.

just wanted to make sure i'm doing this right..

thanks!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:38 am

This all depends on the type of NR. If you record with DBX on and playback with it off you get loud/compressed/shiity sound. If you do this with certain types of Dolby NR you get a boost in the high end. I've heard of people using the dolby trick in tracking -Elton John used it on his piano - but not for a whole mix.
Then again, give it a shot and see what happens.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:09 am

Dave,

yeah the NR on my deck is dolby, no problem there. i'm just trying to aproach this on a theoretical side first.

that's the way i find the most logical i guess.

the other option, recording with it off, and turning it on, on playback, would only yield a weird form of compression..is this correct to assume?

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Ken » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:44 am

...and it would sound duller as well because it's clamping down on the high end.

Obviously, you can do a Poor Man's Dolby by recording things really bright and then bringin' down the high end on playback.

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:44 pm

Back in my cassette colleting days I remember I liked recording w/ dolby B on, but not playing back w/ it. Dolby c I liked to record and playback with it, I thought it improved the clarity & dynamics. When it comes to DBX though, I always recorded & played back on my 424 w/ dbx on. I thought it make a significant difference.

hope that helps

jwp
The universe is under no obligation to conform to your beliefs

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:01 am

Ken wrote:...and it would sound duller as well because it's clamping down on the high end.
makes sense..thanks Ken.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:04 am

puls wrote:Back in my cassette colleting days I remember I liked recording w/ dolby B on, but not playing back w/ it. Dolby c I liked to record and playback with it, I thought it improved the clarity & dynamics. When it comes to DBX though, I always recorded & played back on my 424 w/ dbx on. I thought it make a significant difference.

hope that helps

jwp
it does jwp, thanks. thing is i can't escape the DBX decoding on the 244...i can escape the encoding i think by going through the aux ins or something, but the decoding happens at a later stage..it's fine, i don't dislike what i'm hearing there. sounds very good to me. my 22-2 is wrecked for now, so i thought, well i have a great old deck there, with dolby, might as well try to get some saturation out of it and use that old trick.

Mason
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Mason » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:09 am

I am a huge fan of the "DBX Trick" with my 424 (record with DBX on, playback with it off).

For someone without outboard gear, it's a great way to impart a compressed 60s-ish (to my ears) sound to home recordings. My recording partner describes the treble as "God-like." I call it the noise enhancer.

On the strength of recordings using this method (hear them at www.myspace.com/thelevitations), we've snagged jobs making recordings that will be released on independent labels in the next year. It's a good trick!

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:34 am

very cool sounds Mason, i see what you're saying! PMed you some questions, hope that's ok.