Why have rickenbacker prices gone up so much?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

james4954
audio school graduate

Post by james4954 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:09 pm

alex matson wrote:Well, I loved my Rics as well. But my perception as a guitar noob was that it had a really distinctive sound, but not a lot of tonal versatility...a one trick pony. I mention this to be proved wrong. I luhhuve the sound of a Ric....if that is one on The Smiths "William It Was Really Nothing", then to me that's an prime example of sonic bliss.
I bought a Rick with the same expectation but was happily proved wrong. Johnny Marr used a Rick 330 on a lot of those early Smiths tunes and that jangly sound its the Rick trademark - but don't forget Paul Weller used the same guitar on most of the Jam's recordings and they are anything but jangly. A Rick can do that jagged Gang Of Four crunch sound as well as any guitar. Only thing it won't do is metal. Its a surprisingly versatile guitar and certainly the best made instrument I've ever laid my hands on.

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:58 pm

regarding the one trick pony thing: i just tracked an entire record using nothing but the aformentioned 360 and we got enough variation in tones to be happy. some might listen and disagree though. we did have a few other guitars available and at no point did we feel inclined to use them. that is because a rickenbacker is awesome.
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:25 pm

You gotta love message boards. Someone asks a question and everyone has to give their 'opinion.' :D

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Well, speaking for myself, I ask these questions to get them! (opinions, that is) I mean I really care less about the economics of the the question than that the guitar is in fact a good one to play.

Fullstax
studio intern

Post by Fullstax » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:32 pm

Actually they can do Metal very well. Check out the 650 Series. Kurt Ballou from Converge used one of these for years. A 650 Rickenbacker through a 70's JMP 100w is pretty damn heavy sounding.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:54 pm

There are no one-trick ponies.

Only lack-of-imagination ponies.

:D

fazeka
steve albini likes it

Post by fazeka » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:11 pm

Jerry Jones makes some nice Dano pieces...

PeterSawatzky
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by PeterSawatzky » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 pm

+1 for Rickenbacker.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:58 pm

Don't forget about Fugazi- They used Ricks for at least 50 per cent of their recordings.

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:31 am

eh. i paid 800 for a mapleglo 360/6 on ebay last year. i've got a 381/6 also that i got for around the same price. some might say it's a steal. i assure you i didn't steal it.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:24 pm

Fullstax wrote:The price is getting higher and having those old priced just under a grand was nice. Nonetheless this is still one of the best deals going in terms of quality. $1400 doesn't get your nearly as well built a guitar from Gibson or Fender. Arguablly still a good deal for a hand made in america guitar.
Agreed. The build quality and attention to detail rivals boutique guitars of $2500 and up.

My Ric 4003 bass I bought 2 years ago was $1475 CDN and thought that was an absolute steal for a brand new bass.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:27 pm

yardleyone wrote:regarding the one trick pony thing: i just tracked an entire record using nothing but the aformentioned 360 and we got enough variation in tones to be happy. some might listen and disagree though. we did have a few other guitars available and at no point did we feel inclined to use them. that is because a rickenbacker is awesome.
Agreed again.

Anyone try the Ric humbuckers in a 360? I have a 360 and considered putting the vintage toaster style pick ups in there but I am really curious what those Ric humbuckers sound like in the 360. They are the exact same size and drop in replacement for their standard pick up.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:32 pm

asmara wrote:Don't forget about Fugazi- They used Ricks for at least 50 per cent of their recordings.
Every time I have seen Fugazi, Gui used a Ric through a Park amp. Blistering!

A 360 through a 50 watt Hiwatt & Hiwatt 4 x 12" is also a thing of beauty.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:34 pm

could it be.. i know this is crazy. cause it seems like every performace i see for so and so garage rock, or dance punk group, someone is playing one. if not for guitar, then for guitar and bass.. i think of them as the williamsburg guitar (a "hip" part of brooklyn nyc..) see, the strokes.

panda

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:37 pm

pandatone wrote:could it be.. i know this is crazy. cause it seems like every performace i see for so and so garage rock, or dance punk group, someone is playing one. if not for guitar, then for guitar and bass.. i think of them as the williamsburg guitar (a "hip" part of brooklyn nyc..) see, the strokes.

panda
Not too crazy. The Gibson SG has had a huge resurgance over the last couple of years and every guitar player in an indie band and their dogs had one. I'm not knocking SG's because I love them, but maybe people are finally finding out how good rickys really are.

what is next? Strats? (eeeew)