Soundreplacer or Drumagog?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Soundreplacer or Drumagog?

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:11 pm

Been an avid Soundreplacer guy since I've had Pro Tools.

Drumagog is out there. Anybody compare these two?

The hassle of beat-by-beat editing blows in Soundreplacer, but one takes the evil with the good with that program.

Is that a reality of drumagog too?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:31 pm

Drumagog takes a lot of fiddlin, and granted, I've never *really* read the manual thoroughly--just sort of skimmed through it. but, once you get it dialed in it works pretty darn good. Plus, you can trigger any of the samples via MIDI (with the full/advanced version) and make your own "GOGs". You can mix the sample with the original sound--in realtime (well, sort of--there is latency). Usually I get it where I like it, then bounce it down and realign (I'm running Pro Tools LE so no auto-compensation).

I like it. sorry, though, can't say I've ever had the chance to try SR.

Mike

p.s. - also know that it seems to be a pretty small operation, but there is a support forum and Rim (the "guy") is pretty responsive and willing to help.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Soundreplacer or Drumagog?

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:06 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Been an avid Soundreplacer guy since I've had Pro Tools.

Drumagog is out there. Anybody compare these two?

The hassle of beat-by-beat editing blows in Soundreplacer, but one takes the evil with the good with that program.

Is that a reality of drumagog too?
I used soundreplacer for a zillion projects, then I tried drumagog. I havent used soundreplacer ONCE since I got drumagog. I got the full "pro" version, and it completely kicks total bunz.

It can do some incredible things, IN REAL TIME, so you can have the track playing and audition a bunch of different sounds and "feels" IN REAL TIME.

There is also a latency "adjust" and dynamic tracking and a synth and tons of fun things lurking. I have really gotten my brain around the dynamic tracking aspect of this thing, and it is so great. Stuff that sounded clunky with soundreplacer ( a build up to the top of the song, that soundreplacer only catches the last three hits or whatever)... you can set the sensitivity in drumagog to follow that dynamic arc or not, and it is a "knob" so it is based on a percentage of the original dynamics, from 0 to 100% dynamic tracking. It works really, really well.

Get it, you will be glad.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:19 am

Drumagog. Just being able to audition sounds before you apply them to a whole song is a HUGE deal. I always wondered why you can't in soundreplacer, but I guess digidesign just hasn't bothered to upgrade the software since it came out which was prob before that was viable.

-marc goodman

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:53 am

I used Drumagog, and it was pretty cool. It is without a doubt, the best, and much easier to use than Sound Replacer.

I am trying to only trigger kick, and I find that apTrigga 2 is much better for my needs.

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:02 pm

question: how does drumagog compare to battery? are they about the same?

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:44 pm

effector wrote:question: how does drumagog compare to battery? are they about the same?
Very different in what they do.

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:23 pm

please explain!

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:41 am

Battery takes midi input, and produces an audio out.

Drumagog takes audio input, and produces an audio and/or a midi out.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:52 pm

We have used Drumagog to replace ok quality tracked kick and snare tracks within Digital Performer. It has been a God-send. Still waiting for Drumagog to support multi outs in DP but aside from that, it is well worth the money for the program. You can download it free and try er out. You can also create your own "samples" if you will, which is very cool. A truly great asset to have in your arsenal!

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JohnSuitcase » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 pm

For the VST people, I've used KTDrumTrigger, with Addicitve Drums, which works well.

I really like using the KTDrumtrigger to create a MIDI track, which controls the drum instrument (Addictive Drums, or whatever). It's easy to edit hits, change velocities, move some hits to be side sticks, make rolls go RLRLRL, etc. Much better than trying to use straight samples....

But, if I'm JUST doing the kick, I'll use Aptrigga, it's does the job, and is quick to set up, etc.

Trying to trigger a (realistic) snare using Aptrigga is just a pain in the butt, though...

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:05 pm

JohnSuitcase wrote: Trying to trigger a (realistic) snare using Aptrigga is just a pain in the butt, though...
Use an expander on the input to the plugin.

seangordon
audio school graduate

Post by seangordon » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:26 am

Most of the studios I work at these days have Drumagog. I'm pretty good with it now, never read a manual, but its pretty straightforward to use. I just picked up the Steven Slate samples and have been having fun with them for the past few days, they are pretty incredible sounding. I also have the Bob Clearmountain hits and the old wav version of the DFH. I'll be honest, its so much quicker to replace a drum with Drumagog then to go through the painful journey of trying to get the original drum to sound pro. Maybe i suck, I don't know!
Sean

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JohnSuitcase » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:34 am

Getting good drum sounds during the mix isn't terribly hard, if:

a) The drums are good drums, well-tuned
b) The drummer hits the drums consistently and in the "sweet spot" of the drum
c) The tracking engineer gets the mics in good spots, with proper levels

If those conditions are met, it's usually a matter of a little compression and eq, and bam, they sound fantastic.

Unfortunately, most of us live in a world where we're recording less-than-perfect drums with less-than-perfect players, etc.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:20 am

I just picked up drumagog a couple of weeks ago. It's super easy to use right away and has been a godsend on the project I'm currently mixing.

It's seriously great software. And yes, just a year or so ago I was preaching the evils of sound replacement/ augmentation. How quickly things change when you're in a bit of a bind!