Splitting my guitar - 1 side is late.. help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jwnc
takin' a dinner break

Splitting my guitar - 1 side is late.. help

Post by jwnc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:02 am

Hi,

I have a UA Solo 610 and 110. My guitar is plugged into the 610 and the thru output is going to my amp head, which is feed into a motherload back into the solo 110 input. Both preamps are plugged directly into my Lynx audio inputs. The problem I am having is when I record both preamps at the same time the direct signal seems to be arriving late compared to the amp/motherload channel. I would think that would be the late one since its going through alittle more gear.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jason

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:07 am

If you are using a DAW you can nudge one signal to line them up. Common pratice. Just make sure you understand a bit about phase and what freqs you will be reinforcing.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

jwnc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jwnc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:27 am

Thanks.. I know I can do this.. I am wondering why the shortest signal is the one lagging behing the longer cabled signal.

Jason

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:59 am

yeah that is weird. hhhmm...i got nuthin'. any of you smart guys have any ideas?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:02 am

Sorry I didnt realize that was the issue. Different circuits are going to introduce different amounts of delay, pure analog dont usulay add much but in todays world we can measure it real easy. A 100ft cable vs 1ft would be almost impossible to measure so I wouldnt expect a cable run to cause that much of a delay.

I would try to reverse the di boxes and make sure the slowness follows the DI.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:20 am

When you say "late", is it just a phasing issue, or is it like a slap?

I was once recording through a plexi and a hiwatt at the same time, and found the hiwatt to be 90 degrees out of phase with the plexi, not 180, but 90, just to make life difficult!

I wonder if this is a similar issue. Without purchasing a box to tweak the phase, moving the tracks in your daw would be easiest (as previously mentioned).

jwnc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jwnc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:51 am

Let me explain alittle more..

Using the 610 my guitar is plugged into this and this goes out the back directly into the my convertor. The (thru) that will send another signal to another source is going into my head, that feeds into my motherload and that feeds into my input on my solo 110. The output of this goes to the convertor.

The strange thing is the direct DI signal is the one thats late usually not the one going through all the amps, etc..

Thanks
Jason

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:25 am

yeah that's backwards from how it 'should' be...you would think the amp would be a few samples behind. in practice i don't think it matters, cause as said you can just nudge them to line them up...and are you even going to use the di guitar in the end?

still weird though.

jwnc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jwnc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:15 pm

I am going to unplug it all and put it back together and retry it.. something has to be going on here.

Yes I plan to use the DI.

Jason

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JohnSuitcase » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:45 pm

Are both signals going into the same converter?

jwnc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jwnc » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 am

Yes its going into the L / R inputs on my convertors.

Jason

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:27 pm

What kind of converter is it? I know there were some, like the Metric Halo, where there was actually a delay between the two sides.

No shit!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:35 pm

yikes. a...uh..MINOR design flaw there.

jwnc did you try swapping the inputs to the converters?

jwnc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jwnc » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:06 pm

I have done more tests and made sure everything was ok and now it seems to have gone away. I dont know what changed.. maybe it was a cable, etc.. but for now it seems to be correct.

Thanks for all the help.
Jason

edwinhurwitz
studio intern

Post by edwinhurwitz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:35 am

Fletcher wrote:What kind of converter is it? I know there were some, like the Metric Halo, where there was actually a delay between the two sides.

No shit!
This is ancient history in Metric Halo land. There was an offset of one sample in each pair of converters, but that has been long fixed by a firmware update and should never be encountered. I have had my MIO 2882 +DSP for quite some time and it was resolved before I got it.

Just to bring you up to date! :D

Edwin