Downgrading from a RME Fireface 800 (Mac)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BanjoTheCat
studio intern

Downgrading from a RME Fireface 800 (Mac)

Post by BanjoTheCat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:07 pm

I have decided on sticking to a simple analog recording setup, so I am thinking I have too much on my hands here with the FF800 in my possession.

All I need is 2 inputs and then 2 outputs for my Wharfedale's. Does anything this simple exist?

BanjoTheCat
studio intern

Post by BanjoTheCat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:09 pm

2 digital inputs to dump the mixes from tape onto the computer, btw.

insomnia
audio school graduate

Post by insomnia » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:46 am

Absolutely, it just depends on how much money you want to spend. You said "downgrading from a FF800", so do you want to downgrade quality as well, or just keep it simple? Apogee, UA, Lavry, Frontier and several others make some amazing 2 channel A/D/D/A converters in the $2000 range, RME makes one for about $700 and, of course m-audio also makes them for about $200. it all depends on what you want. (I guess they finally figured out that some people still like to master to tape!). By the way - I know you want to simplify, but is there anything else about the FF800 that turns you off?? Just curious, as I was thinking about picking one up.

KyleHale
gettin' sounds

Post by KyleHale » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:50 am

i own a FF800 and I love it. The support is incredible and the converters sound amazing. I highly recommend the soundcard. It is also ruggid german engineering, so you can't really go wrong there!
check me out!

kylehale.net

insomnia
audio school graduate

Post by insomnia » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:42 pm

KyleHale-

do you run the FF800 on a windows or mac platform? i heard some of their software is not available for mac, but I don't know if it's integral or not. If it's just a meter-bridge simulator or something, I can live without it.

KyleHale
gettin' sounds

Post by KyleHale » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:40 am

As far as I know they support FF800 fully on the mac and PC OS's. I have a mac pro and I have drivers for the FF800 on both of my operating systems(im running boot camp and using tiger and windows). Since I don't own logic or any comparible platforms for tiger, Im running all of my audio/recording setup in windows. If you are going to stay PC, I really recommend sticking with the RME. If you are going Mac it maybe a good idea to look into apogee as mentioned earlier
check me out!

kylehale.net

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:20 pm

the mac osx drivers for the ff800 are solid. i've used one for the last year or so with my g5 and it's worked like a dream.

I think that the only thing that you're missing are the software meters which are only available in a windows app.

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:59 pm

I use a FF800 with both a MacBook Pro and a PPC G5. Rock fuckin solid.

this thing is great. I had one issue recently and I was pulling my hair and finally thought, "hey, I'll check and see if there's a driver update!" Which is the computer equivalent of a hail mary from your own 20.

Anyway, sure enough, there was an update. And sure enough, everything was smooth immediately.

By the way, the software metering/routing is one of the main things that convinced me to buy the thing, and I have not been disappointed.

(By the way, I'm not saying Banjo is wrong to unload his Fireface, I'm just saying I'd be making him an offer if I didn't already have one.)

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:00 pm

Oh many freaking times can I write "by the way" in one post??

Jesus.

By the way, I'm an idiot. (And an English major.)