No space between tracks...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alf
gettin' sounds

No space between tracks...

Post by alf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:53 am

I have heard plenty of albums where the songs go from one to the next without any spacing between them. I have a DAW(Akai dps12i) and am almost finished w/ recording all my tracks. I want to mix them so that there are no spaces between the songs. How would I go about this? Anyone know? I assume I would have to get the tracks into a computer...

Thanks!

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:18 am

That's taken care of during the mastering stage. Yes, you need to mix down to some other medium which will allow you to manipulate the individual mixes.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:58 am

Easily done in CD Architect.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:14 am

even itunes can do this.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

alf
gettin' sounds

Post by alf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

I am not too familiar w/ recording on anything but the afforementioned machine. When I burn CD's from that machine it puts gaps in the CD. And if I mix it all to 1 project on that machine(I would still have to use another machine to bounce everything to/from), I can't assign track spaces, it is all one track.

So I guess my question should have been more specific. I had a vague notion I could do this on itunes, but I was wondering about losing quality etc...

So I am assuming the solution is to somehow get the tracks from my DAW to a computer w/o losing too much quality or spending a load of $$$(I don't currently have any converters etc..., the Akai has a lightpipe out). And then on a program I could assign the track spaces to the finalized audio.

Am I right? And if anyone has any suggestions based on the setup I would appreciate it.
Thanks again!

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:34 am

All you need is a CD burning program on your computer like Roxio CD Creator or something similar. When you burn a CD on your Akai and load it into your computer the information is already digital - it won't have to be converted. The CD program will read the individual tracks and let you burn them without any gaps onto a new CD.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:37 am

So I am assuming the solution is to somehow get the tracks from my DAW to a computer w/o losing too much quality or spending a load of $$$
burn each song to cd on yr akai - dunno if you've got the capability of burning multiple projects at once, but your post suggests you can burn them all to the same cd - then load these in your computer and start a burn project in iTunes, CD Architect, Nero, whatever. Provided you don't select "copy disc" or whatever your application calls it, there will be an option somewhere that allows you to set track space anywhere between 0 and 9.9 seconds.
Village Idiot.

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 am

Be sure to enable "Disk at Once" or DAO.
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

alf
gettin' sounds

Post by alf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am

Thanks a bunch!
I was hoping the solution was something along those lines!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

if you're using itunes, make sure you check that it's set to 'import files as wav' (or whatever it says) and isn't converting everything to mp3, which i believe is the default setting.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:45 pm

I don't know if I'd use iTunes crossfade feature, nor would I encourage it for making masters. Just not enough control. But I agree, make sure you're not bringing in files into a compressed format!
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

alf
gettin' sounds

Post by alf » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:40 am

I don't know if I'd use iTunes crossfade feature, nor would I encourage it for making masters. Just not enough control. But I agree, make sure you're not bringing in files into a compressed format!
Is there anything that you could suggest as an alternative?

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:35 pm

alf wrote:
Is there anything that you could suggest as an alternative?
I'm not sure, but I think EZ CD Creator or Nero might have an editing function that would acommodate crossfades with the appropriate degree of control. CD Architect is great, as is Toast with Jam, but both are a little more expensive. (Anyone else got suggestions??) Do a search here on the board for things like CD Burning Software - I know this has been discussed before.

The iTunes crossfades are fixed at the center point between the files, with a fixed curve shape, and thusly aren't really adjustable to compliment the music. I personally can't listen to iTunes or an iPod when the auto crossfade function is on - it does wierd things with the beginnings and ends of tracks.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.