Royer R121/Coles 4038 Rental?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SplitSingleJoe
audio school graduate

Royer R121/Coles 4038 Rental?

Post by SplitSingleJoe » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Does anyone know of anywhere in or around Philly where I might be able to rent a Royer R121 or Coles 4038 for a session March 8-11? Or does anyone in the area have one of the two that they would be willing to rent? The studio I'm going to be tracking in doesn't have any ribbons :cry:

I've used the 4038 a good bit and love them, I'd like to give the Royer a shot though. Either would be perfect if I could find one to rent.

The main source I would be planning to use it on would be some small to mid size combos- Fender Princeton, Vox AC15. Nothing too out of hand for anyone scared to get their ribbon damaged.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Joe

valverec
gettin' sounds

Post by valverec » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:11 am

If you have the cash, I would just buy a used Royer on eBay, and then sell it when you're done. It will probably cost you nothing but shipping, and you can use it for as long as you want (or can afford to be without the cash). Another thing I like to do, if I really want a piece of gear for a recording but don't have the extra cash lying around, I'll have the band front the money for the equipment (obviously fully informing them of what I'm doing) and go that route. You'd be surprised how many bands are willing to do this when they feel it will be a big help to their recording.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:20 pm

valverec wrote:Another thing I like to do, if I really want a piece of gear for a recording but don't have the extra cash lying around, I'll have the band front the money for the equipment (obviously fully informing them of what I'm doing) and go that route. You'd be surprised how many bands are willing to do this when they feel it will be a big help to their recording.
Doing this with a Weber MASS for some tube guitar amp heads. Great advice!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:19 pm

I'd check with Blackbird in Nashville. They have a large rental company and will ship you what you need.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:50 pm

damn. I just sent my 4038 along with a client's Apex 205 to CA. I would have have sent you the 4038 and a my own modified 205 to use in exchange for some audio files in return. Just go out and get a 205 and use it right out of the box, you'll like it.