Slightly oddball Pro Tools Q's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:36 am

Make sure yous DAE engine level thingy is set to 2 and only 2 when bouncing. 8 or 4 will cause "could not convert" errors.

soundandform
studio intern

Post by soundandform » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:39 am

piotr_s wrote:Hi Steve!

I dont have the CS. Just plain vanilla 6.9

p.
Well, that was my point. You should go download the latest CS. Digi did patch this problem in some CS update for some version -- I just can't remember which. So, it can't hurt to give it a try. It will at least fix something else :)

I don't think it will matter -- but you should also try trashing your DAE Prefs folder.

Last, why don't you list each plug-in that has missing automation. Then correlate each to its filename. You might see a trend that indicates which plug-in prior to all the "missing" ones is actually giving you the trouble.

Steve

piotr_s
audio school

Post by piotr_s » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:49 pm

OK, Good advice: to make the list and see if this in any way relates to the names of the plugins in the folder...

BUT

One reason why I did not do the upgrade is because (according to the Digi site) I willl need to change/update my operating system from 10.3.9 to 10.4 ... Which (my bad history tells me) will likely cause some other unforseable complications... I know that eventually I will need to move on, but this was a reasonably stable configuartion for me, and according to the rule "if it ain't broken: don't fix it" I was perfectly happy staying where I was.

Of course now it actually is broken, so maybe that changes the picture ...

I just hate the fact that this unlocks this chain reaction of updates and upgrades which inevitably includes me spending more money...

Thank you for your feedback though!

p.

soundandform
studio intern

Post by soundandform » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:21 pm

piotr_s wrote: One reason why I did not do the upgrade is because (according to the Digi site) I willl need to change/update my operating system from 10.3.9 to 10.4 ...
p.
No, CS updates are specifically for working out significant bugs and getting everything settled on the current platform/OS, etc., not to force people's hands to upgrade.

http://archive.digidesign.com/download/cs/69cs4/lemac/

Steve

piotr_s
audio school

Post by piotr_s » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Aha!

This looks extremely promissing.
I will download this update and post back with results as soon as I do that.

As a side note: I can't tell you how much time I spent poking around digi website for some information (actually I was probably looking specifically for the page you just linked above)... unsuccesfully.

Thank goodness for resources such as this board and good folks such as yourself!

p.

Veej007
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Veej007 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:52 pm

piotr_s wrote:"if it ain't broken: don't fix it"
it's broken

piotr_s
audio school

Post by piotr_s » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:58 am

amen

p.

piotr_s
audio school

Post by piotr_s » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:19 am

Hello,

Amazingly: the problem of disappearing plugin automation parameters is SOLVED.
It took no other than Mr. Massey himself:

http://www.masseyplugins.com/

to point me in the direction of the (seemingly obvious) solution: the final CS update of PT 6.9, namely 6.9cs4:

http://archive.digidesign.com/download/cs/69cs4/lemac/

After running that update, all is good and all can be automated without further headaches.

I am happy that the problem is fixed, and am posting this note for any other potentially miserable souls who might have given up on automating their plugins...

Onward and Upward!

p.

- - -

PS
One amazing part of this whole issue is (to me) the fact that it took months, in fact years for the solution to arrive at my desk. You could say that it just shows how poorly I managed my system... but I have tried. I posted questions about this as early as 2005! Started with the Digi website, then elsewhere. never received a direct answer to my problem. How is it that the moderators of the DUC could not point me to the software update that would address this issue? I searched the Digi website too, but never found the right page. Navigating this maze is a challenge in and of itself. Oh well. I am just ecstatic to report: problem solved! No extra money spent.

soundandform
studio intern

Post by soundandform » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:26 am

Awesome! Good to know there is an actual patch in those CS updates.

Steve

piotr_s
audio school

Post by piotr_s » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:05 pm

OH MY GOD!... I was wrong! The CS update does NOT solve this problem!

After returning to the studio the automation parameters are gone again!

I did a quick test in the morning: right after installing the 6.9cs4 update, and looked like all was good: I loaded a few "suspicious" plugins, then a few of the "victims"... all displayed the automation parameters correctly. Hence my elation in previous messages. Now I got back to my studio to get some work done: and SMACK... we are back at squere one. It is EXACTLY how it was before. I have no idea what that brief, shiny moment of glory was all about, but I do see that is gone... along with my plugin automation parameters....

OK

What am I missing now?

p.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:17 pm

My McDsp Filterband and Compressorbank are doing the same thing. It's driving me nuts!

piotr_s
audio school

Post by piotr_s » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:22 pm

I can't tell you how upset I am about this whole thing. If you read my posts earlier yoou will see that I basically had this problem since 2005...

I buy a plugin, and then I have to NOT use it so that I can use my other plugins, while both the Digi and plugin makers assure compatibility.

This is insane.

p.