Budget outboard R E V E R B units...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

logancircle
tinnitus

Budget outboard R E V E R B units...

Post by logancircle » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:08 am

I already use my Lexicon which I like a lot, esp the chamber and plates. I'm going to the used store to get another stereo reverb, won't be my main verb but I want it to be pretty decent. What thinks ye of the Alesis Midiverb, Nanoverb, Picoverb...? Do they have decent hf absorption, etc? I'd be looking at the not-so-new versions of these monkeys, BTW, like this bastard:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

EggyToast
ass engineer

Post by EggyToast » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:39 am

I personally dislike Alesis' reverbs. They sound good, but they feel more like you're using a pocket calculator than a piece of music gear. I don't need to rely on presets to achieve reverb sounds that I like -- just good knobs that actually do what I want them to when I twist them, and a way to store settings.

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

Post by lukievan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:46 am

Feedback
ass engineer

Post by Feedback » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:49 pm

Here is what I wrote in the other thread listed above:

If you are looking for a killer verb for around $100.00, then you need to check out the Ibanez SDR1000. This thing was around $1200.00 new, back in the late 80's and is a true stereo, way editable single rack space verb. No external wall wart or any such nonsense. The other cool thing about it, is that it is really a Sony made unit. It is sonically like the MUR-201 and the layout is quite similar. It was marketed towards guitar players but I use one in the studio and my partner has two of them. They are stellar on drums and some vocals, usually rock and pop stuff. The downside is that it is sort of hard to get around on for editing purposes but it is a unique verb. I would definitely take it over any of the Alesis units, no offense guys. It is definitely another one to check out and they are on E-bay fairly regularly.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:31 pm

Feedback wrote:Here is what I wrote in the other thread listed above:

If you are looking for a killer verb for around $100.00, then you need to check out the Ibanez SDR1000. ...
yeah, I was bidding on one when you posted that and it went for way too much in the end. please stop posting this! :)

KFledman
ass engineer

Post by KFledman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:16 pm

that alesis midiverb II is a decent thing to have around...back when i worked in a serious room [neve/studer/big recording space/ name bands in all the time] a producer named Caleb Southern was in [he had done the Ben Folds Five records, so had a bit of success] and looked over our outboard [including an emt plate, lexicon 480, lex pcm-70, yamaha rev7, spx 90II ] and asked if we had a midiverb II....i had one at home i picked up for a solid $10 that I never used because the other stuff at my disposal.....i brought it in, he used it on the mixes we did [which came out more than decent [i was assisting he was prod/enginee]] and he used it only on snare using programs 12-18 depending on the song....sounded damn fine....i've been using it for snare reverb regularly since then]

also, there's a guitar player whose sound is basically him direct through a midiverb II for delay....not 100% sure if this is the right guy, but perhaps tommy emmanuel...

anyway, not sure what they go for now, but i am guessing they're still relatively cheap and they sound ok......there's other choices out there as well....but, if you get one, you'll probably find it useful

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:03 am

I've squeezed a ton of use out of my tc electronic m300. The plates and small rooms are my faves, it's all knobs, got MIDI and S/PDIF so interfacing with a DAW is a snap.

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:01 am

pwrb
gettin' sounds

Post by pwrb » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:44 pm

I've been a longtime fan of the Roland SRV-330. Good sounding, easy-to-use, not a bank-breaker.
Pete

www.weissy.com
www.verdantstudio.com
www.weisstronauts.com