Mineral Wool or 703? $$$=Difference?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:47 am

The Walmart $1/yd bin works pretty darn well too. Usually lots of neutral colors. just don't get anything that's shiny or plastic (polyester). Most any cotton fabric works great.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:34 pm

what are the ramifications of doing superchunks and then painting the cloth to match the walls? I would prefer the integreted look and could make up for the high end absorption in other ways.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:16 pm

I've asked this question before, and the response from the various sound treatment gurus is that the paint will actually make the surfaces reflective and you'll lose a lot of the benefit. The exception would be painting a really open weaved fabric like burlap with a thinner paint.

bpape
gettin' sounds

Post by bpape » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:44 am

The paint would mainly change the HF absorbtion of such a device. It would do nothing to change how it works in terms of bass absorbtion.

Bryan
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley

Room Design and Acoustical Analysis
www.gikacoustics.com

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:57 am

bpape wrote:The paint would mainly change the HF absorbtion of such a device. It would do nothing to change how it works in terms of bass absorbtion.

Bryan
Thanks Bryan. That's what I was thinkin/hoping to hear.

Anyone with experience doing it this way (painting) have any suggestions on fabric?

littlepokey
alignin' 24-trk

Post by littlepokey » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:36 pm

I hope it s not too late for this post to be helpful, but last year, I was trying to buy 2" rockwool or 703 and was talking to a local (new mexico) insulation supplier. He told me about Owens Corning Fiberglass Duct Liner http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/p ... &system=81
and was telling me that he had just sold a bunch to a local performance space for a large scale acoustic treatment installation.

He said that the specs were very similar to 703 and rockwool. After doing some research, he was right. This stuff specs out very similarly to 703 (actually a little better on the low end). He called it a "blanket", but it is stiffer than that.

I bought 200 square feet of it for a little over 200 bucks. It came in a big roll (50 feet by 4 feet) and cut easily with a razor knife. I built 25 wood frames out of 1 by 3's with an interior dimensions of 24 by 48 inches and glued the ductliner in with liquid nails. The stuff is still glass and can be hazardous so it still requires covering with fabric. At the top of the panels I attached eye hooks and have screws all over the live room so that I can move them around to taste. The treatment in the control room including cloud is a little more permanant.

I don't know if this stuff is readily available everywhere, but the insulation guy I bought it from had a bunch. Here are the data sheets for the ductliner and the 703 respectively.

http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/d ... dLiner.pdf
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/d ... Series.pdf

Here is a picture of some of the panels I made in place in the live room.

http://kingof8.com/gallery2.htm

It is really nice and inexpensive compared to many commercial alternatives (think auralex) and certainly seems cheaper than the prices you were talking about. It does require a little work to build the frames and get them all mounted, but it wasn't really that bad. It took me and a freind about 2 days to get them all made and hung. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Michael-