Waves SSL plug in?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tweedclassic
ass engineer

Waves SSL plug in?

Post by tweedclassic » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 am

i have been using the SSL plug in on friends Pro tools Rigs. i am hooked and want to get it. my concerns are i only have a powerbook G4 1.67Ghz 1.5G ram. so my concern is the lack of processing power. anyone running this native on a computer comparable to mine? how many of these plug ins are you running at any given time before the mouse stops moving.
Cheers
R.

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:28 pm

I've tried 'em and they sound really classy. There are ways to economize with these plug-ins: you can switch the "analog" non-linearities out to ease up on CPU, and there are separate plug-ins for channel strip, EQ, bus comp so you can use just what you need. That said, don't expect to be able to put one on every channel of a big mix. That pretty sound comes at a price.

I read this article recently and it shed some light on choosing channel strips. Check out the pink chart on the article's page... Based on that, I'd guess you'd top out your CPU running about 20 instances of the SSL channel.

Cheers,

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

numberrr
ass engineer

Post by numberrr » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:16 pm

i recently got these, and they rule! the EQ is the best i have, totally my go-to EQ. i never use the analog switch on this, as it adds a lot of hiss (which imo is stupid). i havnt noticed a huge jump from having the analog on or off with the compressor. ive got a 3ghz, and can use one of each on 30 separate tracks (not that i WOULD). i say go for it!

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:49 pm

My only caution would be to carefully consider other options before sending money to Waves. Do a quick search and you'll see a few stories about how their plug in software and authorization scam will expect more money over time, and may screw up your iLok for other software.

-J

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:05 pm

...forget the waves bundle...

D-U-E-N-D-E!

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/duende_home.html

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:11 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:...forget the waves bundle...

D-U-E-N-D-E!

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/duende_home.html
32 channels of the real thing plus buss compressor: $1600. Upside to blowing too much money: probably sounds amazing and has its own DSP.

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:29 pm

Has anyone done a comparison on these yet? I have the Waves ones which are amazing. Do the Duende ones sound the same or better/worse?

grilla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by grilla » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:03 pm

Is it just me, or is Waves trying to lower their fees and hook up those of us who have payed too much in the past?

It seems that they have lowered the prices of their WUP amd that existing WUP users get an extension deal for the WUP they are currently under. I can't afford shit either way, but....I digress.

I would love to have either the Waves OR the Duende, but have been leaning towards Waves because of the limits of the Duende. Wouldn't you be able to run more instances on killer cpus which will get faster and more powerful over time than on a Duende which has only a limited amount? Or am I wrong?
Peace & Respect

http://www.myspace.com/grilla
http://www.themanorstudio.com

The Manor Recording Studio
Los Angeles, CA

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:36 pm

A couple thoughts on Waves vs. Duende:

In Pro Tools, Waves has an edge because you don't need a VST wrapper for their plugins.

Waves also does have two different dedicated DSP processors available that I believe will accellerate all Waves plugins.

Waves iLok stuff is a pain in the butt. Most important thing: get a separate, dedicated Waves iLok. You can't really move Waves iLok authorizations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Duende plug-ins sound better. I have no idea either way, I just wouldn't be surprised. I don't like the Waves sound. But I haven't heard the SSL plugs so maybe they don't sound like the other stuff.

Todd Wilcox

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Fri May 04, 2007 10:49 am

I know this is apples to oranges but my frined has this bundle and Cubase on a PC.

He runs a 2.4 gig pentium with 512 ram and he gets 28 SSL mono channels and 4 SSL stereo channels (group busses). At that point his graphics go screwy but it still works. After that it's maxed out. So I mean basically he has a digital representation of an ssl console. Oh yeah, and that is with the comp on the mix buss.

Anyway, he just got it and I have to say, I am blown away. The only real software that I have loved until now is the API EQ by URS, the PSP Vintage Warmer and the Ren Comp but damn, these sound really good to me. I brought a mix over last night and did it and I am going to have to shovel more money to waves (grumble). But, it sounded really good. It actually started to sound like that "sound' all those albums I love has. I really am impressed. I can't say it is the SSL sound since I have certainly never worked on one, but I will say that it does amazing things for drums, bass and electric guitars.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.