Mini-Humbucker in PAF-size hole?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Mini-Humbucker in PAF-size hole?

Post by riantide » Tue May 01, 2007 2:36 pm

Does anyone know of a mini-humbucker that will fit in a humbucker slot, or maybe a ring that would fill up that extra space? I have an SG that I love to death but I never play because the PAFs have more output than I'd like and I LOVE the way mini-humbuckers sound. Should I just custom order an underwound humbucker?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rian

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue May 01, 2007 3:17 pm

sounds like you might like the tone of a Bill Lawrence humbucker. billlawrence.com pretty balanced tone and they're not muddy.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Thu May 03, 2007 12:38 pm

I had a similar prob a while back- I found a pair of original Minis in a mom and pop store , mounted into an original Mustang pickguard (which means that somebody removed a set of minis from a guitar, and destroyed a mustang pickguard trying to fit humbuckers into it...) for 20 bucks. I had an old Gibson Sonex laying around- I decided I wanted to fit the Minis into the Sonex for shits and giggles.

I couldn't find anybody who made pickup rings for the minis that filled out to standard size- you would think someone would make it! Especially someone like Seymour Duncan , who makes replacement minis!

I ended up spending 50 plus bucks to get a new pickguard for the Sonex cut with Mini sized holes. It's a knockaround guitar, I hated spending that much, but whattheheck. See if that idea works on your guitar.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Post by riantide » Fri May 04, 2007 12:18 pm

Unfortunately the SG I have doesn't even have a pickguard anymore, I would have to fill the pickup cavity and re-route it to accomplish the same thing. I did look into Bill Lawrence pickups and now I'm really curious to hear an L-609, but I can't find them ANYWHERE! I emailed them and haven't heard back yet, but is that the only way to get his pickups? It seems like you can find the L-500's a few places, but I'm not really looking for Dimebag Darrell's pickup of choice (no offense to The Dime, RIP).

So yeah, maybe I'll hear back from the Lawrence camp soon, but seriously, you'd think somebody would make a ring that would adapt the size to PAF routing, right? Boo. Someone also suggested TV Jones, I just haven't heard any of them, so that's kinda scary. Thanks for the help, though, those are great suggestions.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri May 04, 2007 2:35 pm

the singer in phonograph has a parts tele deluxe with a 'fatcat' in the bridge... it is a p90 in a humbucker size nickel cover... the polepieces are down the middle. I think it is a duncan pickup. sounds great in that guitar. alder body, maple neck.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/