Sample rate conversion quagmire

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Sample rate conversion quagmire

Post by charlievela » Sat May 05, 2007 10:03 am

I have a project that I recorded at 88.2 not too long ago at another studio. When I brought it home, I found that my HD 1 system can barely play back the tracks much less mix or edit them.

So, I'm planning on converting all the tracks down to a lower sampling rate in order to mix. My question is this:

Is it better to convert them down to 48 and then let the mastering engineer take it down to 44.1, or is it better to just convert it down to 44.1 and save myself the extra processing?

Thanks,
Charlie

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Sat May 05, 2007 12:39 pm

You could always convert them down to 44.1 to figure out your mix settings, then use those settings on the original files for the final render... that way you're saving time during the mix process, and then getting the benefit of the high rate for the final render, when you only really need it.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

Aerophone
pluggin' in mics

Post by Aerophone » Mon May 07, 2007 10:18 pm

Giggity.

sorry.
Portugal

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Sample rate conversion quagmire

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 09, 2007 6:18 am

charlievela wrote:I have a project that I recorded at 88.2 not too long ago at another studio. When I brought it home, I found that my HD 1 system can barely play back the tracks much less mix or edit them.

So, I'm planning on converting all the tracks down to a lower sampling rate in order to mix. My question is this:

Is it better to convert them down to 48 and then let the mastering engineer take it down to 44.1, or is it better to just convert it down to 44.1 and save myself the extra processing?

Thanks,
Charlie
Just go down to 44.1 and use the "tweak head" setting. It will take a while, but it will sound fine. You may have to do different things to the tracks to get it to really shine, because 44.1 sounds DIFFERENT than 88.2, but IMHO, not better or worse.