Recommendations for compressors ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:03 pm

Since you mentioned software comps, and you're on a 002, you might look at the Massey CT4. Best software comp I've heard, and really cheap to boot. Pro Tools only.

beef_wellington
audio school graduate

Post by beef_wellington » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:26 pm

I am actually not using PT. I picked up the 002 really cheap, and using it with DP5. If I decide to go with software, I'll probably get the UAD-1.

Feedback
ass engineer

Post by Feedback » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:38 am

If you want to try a hardware LA-2Aish compressor, keep your eyes peeled for a Peavey VC/L-2. These were only made for a short time but can be had for a very reasonable price, thanks to the Peavey name being on it. THey are slowly coming up in price as people are discovering it. Here is a link for your reading pleasure.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/W ... C-L-2.html

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:07 pm

Kasey wrote:
lionaudio wrote:
jckinnick wrote:What about the RCA Really Nice Compressor ive heard theyre pretty good.
i swear by the RNC's.. i have four and they are great for everything.. and used in "really nice" mode, they are great for mastering compression.. definitely not a "vintage" sound though.. they add very little coloration
I use RNC's too, and while they are lovely and especially incredible considering their price, I can't say they are great at everything. Firstly, they are notorious for being weak with bass instruments. Secondly, I haven't found them very useful as "effect" compressors. they can't smash my drums quite like I wish they could... i reach for other compressors for that (though admittedly none of my compressors truly make me happy in the category).

No mean to bash on them, i love my RNC's! I just don't think they're great for everything. No doubt worth the money though, or even double the money.
definitely worth the money.. i've never run into any problems with them as far as bass instruments go.. and yeah i agree it is nearly impossible to use them as an effect.. they can maybe get into the "trashy" category if you set them right (or wrong), but nothing that is just amazing.